Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swinogra
Visitor
Visitor

USB device recognized in lsusb but keystrokes do not work

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I am working on an ZynqMpSoc system trying to enable the USB 2.0 to work properly. I configured the Zynq in vivado for USB 2.0 only (no 3.0). I then modified the device tree as attached. After insuring the ID pin and Reset pin are set correctly the devices are recognized when plugging and unplugging, but they do not show up in /dev/input/, and the keyboard keystrokes do not show up on the terminal when connected via UART.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @dawidg 

Got it in your situation.

I guess it seems serial terminal limitation and you might not know limitation of serial console (serial terminal).

As you may know, you can NOT use two kind of input devices on serial console. It's hardware limitation.

BTW, you can do it, if you want to share and control two kind of input devices on except serial terminal. ex. normal terminal and so on.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

7 Replies
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @swinogra 

Did you confirm exist of file in /dev/input/by-id and /dev/input/by-path ?

I'm sure that you can find proper device name in them.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
swinogra
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @watari,

This is the output from looking at those paths. We can see that event0 is at least part of the keyboard, but keystrokes still do not show up in the terminal when typing?

user@machine:~# ls -al /dev/input/by-id/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 60 May 7 11:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 user user 100 May 7 11:58 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 9 May 7 11:58 usb-CHICONY_HP_Basic_USB_Keyboard-event-kbd -> ../event0
user@machine:~# ls -al /dev/input/by-path/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 60 May 7 11:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 user user 100 May 7 11:58 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 9 May 7 11:58 platform-xhci-hcd.0.auto-usb-0:1:1.0-event-kbd -> ../event0

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @swinogra 

Would you share result of lsmod command ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
swinogra
Visitor
Visitor

@watari 

user@machine:~# lsmod
Not tainted
uio_pdrv_genirq 16384 0 - Live 0xffffff8000b00000

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @swinogra 

Would you make sure whether 2.0 root hub exist or not by lsusb ?

BTW, did you make sure whether parameter is proper or not at serial terminal software. ex. teraterm or putty ? Set proper parameter for echo on it ???

Best regards,

0 Kudos
dawidg
Observer
Observer

Hi @watari,

Can you elaborate what do you mean by

1. "whether 2.0 root hub exist or not by lsusb ?"

2. "did you make sure whether parameter is proper or not at serial terminal software. ex. teraterm or putty ? Set proper parameter for echo on it ???"

Just to clarify #2 - UART is connected to an external PC and accessed through minicom. Keyboard (#keyboard_a) on that PC works as expected and data is transferred over UART. But this is not the problem. The problem is the other keyboard (#keyboard_b) which is connected to the Zynq USB peripheral but when we look at the terminal (using UART from that external PC) we do not see any keystrokes from that keyboard (#keyboard_b). I hope this clarifies it a bit.

(on Should we not see any keystrokes in this case or there is a specific terminal option that could enable/disable it?

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @dawidg 

Got it in your situation.

I guess it seems serial terminal limitation and you might not know limitation of serial console (serial terminal).

As you may know, you can NOT use two kind of input devices on serial console. It's hardware limitation.

BTW, you can do it, if you want to share and control two kind of input devices on except serial terminal. ex. normal terminal and so on.

Best regards,

View solution in original post