cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uartlite kernel error

Block DiagramBlock Diagram

I have an external device I am trying to talk to using the uart lite core. The only other UARTs in the design are the two PS UARTs. You can see my block diagram above.

I am using Petalinux. I believe that I have the device tree setting correct. While the kernel is booting I get this error message:

[ 4.094996] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
[ 4.096406] uartlite a0010000.serial: ttyUL2 too large
[ 4.096454] uartlite: probe of a0010000.serial failed with error -22

I have not been able to solve this problem. In the kernel configuration I have increased the max number of UARTs to 16 everywhere I could find. That has not solved this problem. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Uartlite kernel error

I had this error before. It is causes by the following definition in the uartlite.c driver

#define ULITE_NR_UARTS        CONFIG_SERIAL_UARTLITE_NR_UARTS

This parameter can be found in the "petalinux-config -c kernel" command:

│ Symbol: SERIAL_UARTLITE_NR_UARTS [=1]                                                                                                                                                                │  
  │ Type  : integer                                                                                                                                                                                      │  
  │ Range : [1 256]                                                                                                                                                                                      │  
  │ Prompt: Maximum number of uartlite serial ports                                                                                                                                                      │  
  │   Location:                                                                                                                                                                                          │  
  │     -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                                                                                │  
  │       -> Character devices                                                                                                                                                                           │  
  │         -> Serial drivers                                                                                                                                                                            │  
  │ (1)       -> Xilinx uartlite serial port support (SERIAL_UARTLITE [=m])                                                                                                                              │  
  │   Defined at drivers/tty/serial/Kconfig:633                                                                                                                                                          │  
  │   Depends on: TTY [=y] && HAS_IOMEM [=y] && SERIAL_UARTLITE [=m]

If this didn't solve your problem you may consider upgrading to 2018.3.

They removed this parameter from the driver and configuration menu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I believe that these parameters are set correctly. Please see below to confirm. The error still persists.

kernelConfig.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi dustin.nicholes@gmail.com,

- Please follow the below wiki link for test procedure

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842249/Uartlite+Driver

Best Regards
Abhinay PS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos