UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant kdahlgren
Participant

Ubuntu Desktop on ZCU102

Jump to solution

I'm getting a ZCU102 next week and I want to bring up the full Ubuntu desktop to develop a demo that uses a GUI.

I found a recipe on the Xilinx Wiki:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+UltraScalePlus+MPSoC+-+Ubuntu+Desktop+Step+by+Step+Guide

Unfortunately the page says "Obsolete" right at the top, but also has a revision date of Sept 15, 2016, which seems a little strange.

I also ran through the kernel configuration instructions and they do not seem to reflect the current options in the tool.

Has anyone built the Ubuntu Desktop release for the ZCU102 using these instructions? Are there non-"obsolete" procedures?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Ubuntu Desktop on ZCU102

Jump to solution

@kdahlgren

Please refer to this link for the updated version 

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+UltraScale%EF%BC%8B+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+2+-+Building+and+Running+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+From+Sources

Regards,
Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
22 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@kdahlgren

Will find the details and update this thread.

-Achutha 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant kdahlgren
Participant

Jump to solution

Thanks achutha

BTW I received the ZCU102 yesterday and tried to use the SD card image that I downloaded from the

page, but configuration failed. I suspect that this was due to the image being compiled for ES silicon

and the board has ES2 silicon. I suspect that this difference may be the reason that the page is marked

"obsolete".

It would be helpful to have an updated image for download. I always like to try a known good image

before I try building one from scratch.

0 Kudos
Participant kdahlgren
Participant

Jump to solution

Any updates on this?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@kdahlgren

Please refer to this link for the updated version 

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+UltraScale%EF%BC%8B+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+2+-+Building+and+Running+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+From+Sources

Regards,
Achutha

0 Kudos
Participant kdahlgren
Participant

Jump to solution

Thank you Sir!

0 Kudos
Participant kdahlgren
Participant

Jump to solution
It looks like these procedures are still for an ES1 board.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hello,

Did you manage to get this working ?

I have a zcu102 and I know it works because I can generate projects with SDSoC and get them running on the board and see the output in the tera term terminal.

I have used the new version of the ubuntu desktop project pre-built image as indicated in this thread and flash it to a SD card. Once I try to boot the only message I see in the tera term terminal is :

Xilinx Zynq MP First Stage Boot Loader
Release 2016.3 Jan 2 2017 - 16:11:35

and that is all. Is this normal ?

I have connected a monitor using the display port but I cannot get any signal there.I can see two red LEDs in the board when I use this image.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Participant kdahlgren
Participant

Jump to solution

The answer to your question depends on whether you have an ES1 or ES2 board.

I have an ES2 board and saw similar behavior when I tried to use the 091516 SD card image on my card.

Based on what I saw in various posting and answer records, you cannot configure ES2 silicon with an ES2 bit stream.

As far as I know the only Petalinux release that includes an ES2 BSP is 2016.4. 

I was hoping that the update to the Ubuntu Desktop recipe page would be based on an ES2 ZCU102, but that does

not appear to be the case.

Kent

0 Kudos
Participant kdahlgren
Participant

Jump to solution
should be: you cannot configure ES2 silicon with an ES1 bit stream.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I have that  the REV 1 board that uses on ES2 silicon with and I need to set the boot mode to "E" to be able to boot from the SDcard.

But these Ubuntu desktop images do not boot in my system. 

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has managed to get Ubuntu running on the ES2 boards that you can buy at:

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/ek-u1-zcu102-es2-g.html

I have been following the instructions here with pre-built images and a SD card:

In the page says that v3.0 has been updated to the new boards but I am not sure if the pre-built images have been updated or only the instructions.

I only get a couple of messages during the boot process in the UART and then the whole thing stops.  I have tried with petalinux 2016.4 but it also fails with errors. I have used the switch settings to 1110 or E from other threads and also to the recommended settings. 

Maybe someone could post an image that works, please ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Observer lsc-unicamp
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am facing the same problem as you.

I do think the bitstream is not meant for ES2 silicon, and it might be affecting the boot, just showing the FSBL 2 line messages. So I thought that changing the system.hdf from the project creation (petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<path to system.hdf file >), instead to point to Ubutnut_Desktop_Source_Release/HDF, I opened SDK (2016.4) and created a new BSP for my board (ZCU102 ES2), and then pointed to that system.hdf folder, somepath.../workspace/system_wrapper_hw_platform_0/.

Also, from this SDK created BSP, I made my FSBL, PMUFW and R5APP. Since this system.hdf doesn't have a hardware instatiation, just the PS, the bitstream will not be loaded into FSBL.

Doing so, I could go into the boot process. I was able to boot the system a few time! It was VERY unstable, lots of kernel panics happened. I was trying to remove proxy connection in order for apt-get to work properly (no packages were being downloaded), and in one of my reboots, it never booted up again. I've redone all the steps, both for the boot portion (recreating boot.bin or image.ub and system.dtb) as well as recopying the FS to the second partition. It simply WILL NOT BOOT.

The system goes to the end of the booting messages and sort of hangs, the serial communication stops responding and no login screen shows up.

A funny fact, on one of my tries on rebuilding the system, while on step 4.1.2.1 (I'm also following the mentioned tutorial found in this tutorial link), I forgot to do it. I didn't disable RAMFS, built the system and it booted up! It is not ubuntu, it is VERY limited. BUT, my sdcard file system partition was also mounted, but not on /, but on /run/media/mmcblk0p2.

Maybe someone can make some sense of it, but it seems there is a problem somewhere within the build process... I really would like some help with this, I am trying to make a linux build to use a video output (in this case the display port).

Also, hope it helps someone in advancing a little.

0 Kudos
Observer lsc-unicamp
Observer

Jump to solution
EDIT: I am using the Rev1.0 ES2 kit as well, forgot to mention for completeness sake.
0 Kudos
Observer lsc-unicamp
Observer

Jump to solution

Xilinx, 

any update on this???

0 Kudos
Observer eduardo928
Observer

Jump to solution

I was able to do all the steps and get video output. Both from the provided files on the wiki tutorial, and doing all from scratch, instantiating the PS on Vivado.

I compiled a pdf explaining how to do so that you can download from this link. I really hope it helps.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@lsc-unicamp The root fs you mention does make sense and I'll try and explain.

By leaving ramfs enabled in the config menu, the kernel is set to mount a ramdrive as root, early in the boot process, before the SD card is available.  Petalinux usually does this, and this compact minimal root fs ends up packaged inside image.ub, and is the normal way to run an embedded system.

The SD card on /run/media is just a default auto-mounted place, as it's  not already mounted as root.

0 Kudos
Observer exragur
Observer

Jump to solution

i followed your Instruction and build a bootable SD with the 2017.1 Vivado and PetaLinux.

For all who wanna try it, i've uploaded it in google drive as a img-file. Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwZqqCe77VpDWVFGUWRqc19mY00

I've tested it with uart and minicom. Command for Linux is: $ ~ sudo minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200 -8 -o
It is important that both, software and hardware control are disabled. That can be done with: $ ~ minicom -s

If everything works on your zcu102 pleas let me know.

Best regards,

exragur

0 Kudos
Visitor thomas144
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your efforts, exragur.  I managed to download your image and boot it, but it's not the Ubuntu desktop, just petalinux.

Any idea why the console freezes?  I am able to ssh as root to the card after booting, but there's no input or echo on the console.  I saw the same behavior with the Ubuntu_Desktop_Release_2017_1 but in that case it didn't look like the device on the network after booting into Ubuntu, so I wasn't able to ssh to it.

0 Kudos
Visitor oxygen.chu
Visitor

Jump to solution

@achutha

I see the updated version of Ubuntu installation on ZYNQ-US+, but there's a file "ZCU102_Ubuntu_Desktop_2017_1.img" I don't find the tutorial how to build.

I guess this "ZCU102_Ubuntu_Desktop_2017_1.img" file have something to do with Ubuntu OS and ZCU102 board, so if I create my own board, and with newer Vivado/PetaLinux version (2017.2), so I must build this file myself.

Is there any blog/tutorial to guide me to create this image?

Best Regards

Oxygen

ubuntu_zcu102.PNG
0 Kudos
Observer exragur
Observer

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Visitor elilau
Visitor

Jump to solution

You sould use the "win32 Disk Imager" app

0 Kudos
Visitor mich_gott
Visitor

Jump to solution

Could someone provide me with the latest Vivado project.tcl for Vivado 2018.3?

The .zip file in the build instructions contains a wrong one.

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841937/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+2+-+Building+and+Running+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+From+Sources

0 Kudos