UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Ubuntu Desktop on ZCU102

Accepted Solution Solved
Observer
Accepted Solution

Ubuntu Desktop on ZCU102

I'm getting a ZCU102 next week and I want to bring up the full Ubuntu desktop to develop a demo that uses a GUI.

I found a recipe on the Xilinx Wiki:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+UltraScalePlus+MPSoC+-+Ubuntu+Desktop+Step+by+Step+Guide

Unfortunately the page says "Obsolete" right at the top, but also has a revision date of Sept 15, 2016, which seems a little strange.

I also ran through the kernel configuration instructions and they do not seem to reflect the current options in the tool.

Has anyone built the Ubuntu Desktop release for the ZCU102 using these instructions? Are there non-"obsolete" procedures?

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee

Re: Ubuntu Desktop on ZCU102

@kdahlgren

Please refer to this link for the updated version 

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+UltraScale%EF%BC%8B+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+2+-+Building+and+Running+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+From+Sources

Regards,
Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

All Replies
Xilinx Employee

@kdahlgren

Will find the details and update this thread.

-Achutha 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Observer

Thanks achutha

BTW I received the ZCU102 yesterday and tried to use the SD card image that I downloaded from the

page, but configuration failed. I suspect that this was due to the image being compiled for ES silicon

and the board has ES2 silicon. I suspect that this difference may be the reason that the page is marked

"obsolete".

It would be helpful to have an updated image for download. I always like to try a known good image

before I try building one from scratch.

Observer

Any updates on this?

Xilinx Employee

@kdahlgren

Please refer to this link for the updated version 

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+UltraScale%EF%BC%8B+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+2+-+Building+and+Running+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+From+Sources

Regards,
Achutha

Observer

Thank you Sir!

Observer

It looks like these procedures are still for an ES1 board.
Observer

Hello,

Did you manage to get this working ?

I have a zcu102 and I know it works because I can generate projects with SDSoC and get them running on the board and see the output in the tera term terminal.

I have used the new version of the ubuntu desktop project pre-built image as indicated in this thread and flash it to a SD card. Once I try to boot the only message I see in the tera term terminal is :

Xilinx Zynq MP First Stage Boot Loader
Release 2016.3 Jan 2 2017 - 16:11:35

and that is all. Is this normal ?

I have connected a monitor using the display port but I cannot get any signal there.I can see two red LEDs in the board when I use this image.

Thanks,

Observer

The answer to your question depends on whether you have an ES1 or ES2 board.

I have an ES2 board and saw similar behavior when I tried to use the 091516 SD card image on my card.

Based on what I saw in various posting and answer records, you cannot configure ES2 silicon with an ES2 bit stream.

As far as I know the only Petalinux release that includes an ES2 BSP is 2016.4. 

I was hoping that the update to the Ubuntu Desktop recipe page would be based on an ES2 ZCU102, but that does

not appear to be the case.

Kent

Observer

should be: you cannot configure ES2 silicon with an ES1 bit stream.