UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie rgallic

Upgrade petalinux 2013.4 to 2016.4

Can anybody tell me how to upgrade from Petalinux 2013.4 to 2016.4?

Are the directory structures the same or may I have to start from scratch?

I see references to Yocto in Petalinux 2016.4. Has Yocto been adopted to perform all build operations?

Trying to get an idea of the magnitude of changes required.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Upgrade petalinux 2013.4 to 2016.4

you required to install from scratch . Download Peatalinux 2016.4 and install

* Copying the installer to the home directory

* Running the installer as a normal user (not root, not using sudo)

* Installing it to a directory within my home directory (it never worked when installing to /opt/pkg)

Note: To separately install Yocto SDK, download the required .sh file from the link http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-2.1/toolchain/x86_64/ and execute the .sh file after setting proper permission "chmod +x".
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
Observer tmiddle
Observer

Hi,

I just thought I would share my experiences of migration.

I took over a project from someone and it was in Petalinux 2014.

They had a written procedure to build everything. (basically throw that out the window) Your best bet is to start a new project in 2016.4 Then create all the apps, modules, etc. If you have experience with the yocto bitbake environment it will be helpful in the transition. Basically what you will need to do is convert your makefiles to bb files Or at least that is the approach I took. 

There is some upfront pain of getting things to configure correctly, however I think the environment is much more robust than the former method. The main reason I upgraded to 2016 was to have access to Python in the build and not have to hack-job it in to my environment. I think it was a good transition. FWIW This was a simple project and it took a couple weeks to work out the system from both migrating the Vivado project to 2016 and the Petalinux.

Tips:

1) You will need to install 2016.4 Petalinux as a normal account, cannot be sudo/root. To keep my flow as similar as before, and I am working on a VM, I put 2016.4 in the same area as previous versions, I just had to make the area writable for my user account.

2) Do not just copy over the project and try to run it as 2016.4, I ran into some oddness that disappeared as soon as I made a fresh project directory. Then just copy in the source files after creating the apps/mods/etc.

3) Vivado also made sense in my case to start a fresh project.

-Tom

0 Kudos

Refer to the Answer Record for some quick steps: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68370.html
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer rgallic_incjet
Observer

Thanks

Given a very short time frame allowed, I'm considering dropping back to Petalinux 2016.2, appears to be fewer changes.

0 Kudos