cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Use Keyboard and Monitor with Petalinux instead of UART Console

Jump to solution

Good evening, I'm getting started customizing PetaLinux so I can run by board as a standalone system.

Currently, I:

• Use the ZCU111 Board Support Package for PetaLinux
  • Create a PetaLinux image using the BSP, and generally keep all settings default, however
    • I do have it configured to use a root filesystem that is already on my SD Card.
  • Boot from SD Card

If I have PuTTY hooked up via UART onto the board, I can see that linux boots up and I'm delivered to the login prompt where I can log in as root. I also have an external monitor hooked up via DisplayPort, and I can see kernel information being printed to the monitor.

How do I get the login prompt to appear on the external monitor, so I can log in with keyboard and don't need the serial cable? (the monitor responds when I connect and remove the USB keyboard)

My current bootargs:

earlycon earlyprintk root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rw rootwait cma=1152M

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

So I eventually figured it out. The correct command is

$ /sbin/agetty tty0

With notable variations being "getty" "agetty" and occasionally with an "&" afterwards if the console hangs.

Usually you place this command in a startup script so that for a given monitor configuration, the system wakes up and displays a login prompt on the desired monitor.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Contributor
Contributor

So I eventually figured it out. The correct command is

$ /sbin/agetty tty0

With notable variations being "getty" "agetty" and occasionally with an "&" afterwards if the console hangs.

Usually you place this command in a startup script so that for a given monitor configuration, the system wakes up and displays a login prompt on the desired monitor.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos