UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Using ILA and Linux cross-trigger

Hi,

I am using a PYNQ board running Linux booted from an SD. The PL is configured to use an AXI GPIO to communicate with the LEDs (a simple hardware system). I have also inserted the ILA for hardware debugging. I am using Vivado and SDK 2017.1

I have verified the PL functionality running an standalone application and debugging it using cross-triggering in SDK in both directions (PL to PS and PS to PL). Everything works fine.

The problem comes when I try to cross-trigger in a Linux environment. I can certainly use the hardware manager to run the ILA core and capture data when a condition is met. Even though, this condition should trigger a signal (trigger in to the PS) and stop the processors. I cannot get to achieve this. The SDK system debugger doesn't have support for cross-triggering when debugging Linux applications through the tcf-agent. Moreover, when debugging a Linux application through SDK and a breakpoint is reached, it doesn't cross-trigger the ILA.

I imagine this two problems come from not enabling the cross-trigger as in a standalone application through the system debugger, but I can't get to find where I should enable this in the Linux environment to function in a similar way as an standalone application (cross-triggering in both directions). Maybe in the FSBL?

Another problem arises when debugging a Linux application through the system debugger in SDK. Some breakpoints are skipped. I have noticed that if the breakpoints are closer together they function correctly, but the more separate they are the more probability to be skipped.

I am more concerned about the first two problems (cross-triggering from PS-PL and PL-PS). Does anyone know anything about this?

Thank you all in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Using ILA and Linux cross-trigger

Okay, after reading some things about CoreSight I realized it is necessary to include it in the devicetree for it to appear under /sys/bus/coresight/devices and /drivers. Even though, I have read there is no current Linux driver for using the CTI available in CoreSight (but it is in process). As such, I have to discard the option of cross-triggering from and to the PS and PL.
I have done a workaround with a GPIO signal, even though there is some latency to start getting the data I really need on the ILA.
Nevertheless, if someone gets to use the cross triggering Linux(PS)-PL I would love to hear from it.
0 Kudos