UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Using Microblaze machine on qemu

Jump to solution

I have been trying to run microblaze machine on qemu using the following command.

./microblazeel-softmmu/qemu-system-microblazeel -M microblaze-fdt -m 256 -serial mon:stdio -display none -device loader,file=/Documents/a.out -dtb Documents/system-top.dtb

I just want to make sure my understanding is right.

I understand that qemu-system-microblaze part refers to  the hardware architecture on which qemu runs my machine and it is somehow related to Microblaze CPU.

And microblaze-fdt is a machine which contains microblaze cpu and has some specific configuration. I was not able to find anything else about microblaze-fdt machine. 

I want to know if a machine is specific to a board because a machine is described by a hdf file which generates dts files and those dts files contain information about board. And how can i get my hands on hdf file for microblaze-fdt without knowing specifics of it.

And i understand that dts file is basically hardware description. What is the difference between hardware architecture mentioned above and hardware description?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using Microblaze machine on qemu

Jump to solution

Hi @dheeraj_golla 

Yes you are correct that qemu-system-microblaze is used to run applications or boot images on microblaze 

microblaze-fdt is machine name to be given (irrespective of any microblaze based boards). You need to always specify dtb through which it configures board specific details.

Example running application in QEMU for kc705 microblaze in petalinux

qemu-system-microblazeel -M microblaze-fdt-plnx -m 256 -serial mon:stdio -device loader,file=xilinx-kc705-axi-full-2017.1/hardware/xilinx-kc705-axi-full-2017.1/xilinx-kc705-axi-full-2017.1.sdk/hello/Debug/hello.elf -gdb tcp::1137 -hw-dtb system.dtb

2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @dheeraj_golla 

Yes you are correct that qemu-system-microblaze is used to run applications or boot images on microblaze 

microblaze-fdt is machine name to be given (irrespective of any microblaze based boards). You need to always specify dtb through which it configures board specific details.

Example running application in QEMU for kc705 microblaze in petalinux

qemu-system-microblazeel -M microblaze-fdt-plnx -m 256 -serial mon:stdio -device loader,file=xilinx-kc705-axi-full-2017.1/hardware/xilinx-kc705-axi-full-2017.1/xilinx-kc705-axi-full-2017.1.sdk/hello/Debug/hello.elf -gdb tcp::1137 -hw-dtb system.dtb

Jump to solution
@shabbirk Thanks! The answer was helpful.
0 Kudos