UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Using PetaLinux under CentOS 7.3

Hi,

I'm currently trying to setup my workstation ready for working with PetaLinux, Vivado and XSDK. I made the choice of using CentOS but I'm getting worries with it.

In fact, according to the PetaLinux documentation (and confirmed by personal tests), PetaLinux has to be used under CentOS 7.3. The last version of it is the 7.4.

Therefore, I downloaded this kernel version (7.3) and installed it on my workstation. Also, I followed the tutorial (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/prevent-yum-from-updating-kernel-on-centos-rhel-linux/) to make sure the kernel version will not be upgraded during a #yum update. But, after having run this last cmd, my CentOS got upgraded from 7.3 to 7.4.

Basically, any new kernels has been added (and thanks to the previous link), but when I run the cmd $cat /etc/*release, I see that my kernel version is now 7.4...

Do I need to block all updates ? 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar rfs613
Scholar

Re: Using PetaLinux under CentOS 7.3

You seem to be confusing the Linux kernel version (what you get when you run "uname -a") versus the version of CentOS (in /etc/*release).

CentOS is a collection of many software packages, including a linux kernel of course. So when you exclude the kernel from upgrades, most other packages will still be upgraded from Centos 7.3 to 7.4 (or whatever version is the latest).

CentOS 7.4 includes linux kernel 3.10, with many back-ported patches from newer kernels (4.x)

If you want to stay on CentOS 7.3... the simplest approach is to install it and avoid "yum upgrade". But really, there is no major to stick with 7.3... Petalinux should work fine on 7.4.
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I got confused between these 2 things. Now, it is most clear.

Therefore, the conclusion is that I can use PetaLinux under the lastest version of CentOS (and linux kernel) ?

I came up to this topic as I got PEtaLinux warnings (followed by errors) about my CentOS distribution version. I didn't save them but they clearly said that I can get troubles using CentOS 7.4 as PetaLinux was designed for the distrib version 7.4..

As I was following up a "simple" tutorial (UG1156) in which you learn to move from an hardware design (Vivado) to PetaLinux project, I made the conclusion that my distribution was overly up-to-date...

Based on your answer, I am currently re-installing PetaLinux under a CentOS  up-to-date (and using the kernel 3.10.0-514.26.2). I will post those errors logs to get the problem source.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I got confused between these 2 things. Now, it is most clear.

Therefore, should I conclude that I can use a CentOS distrib up-to-date (and linux kernel as well) for using PetaLinux ?

I came up to this issue as I was following a "simple" tutorial (UG1156) where you learn how to move from your Vivado desgin to a PetaLInux project. I created a arm based PetaLinux project (for a Zedboard), exported the Vivado hardware design to its last and run a $petalinux-build.

During this last, I got a warning message followed by multiples errors. I didn't save thoses logs but it was clearly said that running PetaLinux under CentOS 7.4 is unsafe as PetaLinux was designed for the distrib version 7.3..

Based on your answer, I am currently re-installing PetaLinux to re-run this procedure for getting logs and figure out the source problem.

0 Kudos
Scholar rfs613
Scholar

I cannot say for sure, because to be honest, I do not use Petalinux myself. But I would not expect any major problems going between Centos 7.3 and 7.4 -- the differences between those releases are fairly small (you can read about it at https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7 or at https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/7.4_release_notes/index)

That said, if you do run into problems, try searching for the specific error message in this forum -- there is a good chance someone else has already encountered it, and probably a fix/workaround is available.

0 Kudos
Visitor gokhale2
Visitor

I have not been successful in building images under petalinux on RHEL 7.4. It breaks while trying to build the python rpm module giving an error that it can't find transaction.py in a very long path build/tmp directory. When we changed the .bb script to first make that directory and copy transaction.py into it, the build eventually breaks later giving a warning about totalhash mismatch and then later smart failed because it couldn't find the rpm module. This all happened when following the user guide to rebuild a downloaded BSP. I was trying to rebuild the ZC706 bsp (although it failed in the same place on ZC702).

Has anyone successfully done a build with petalinux on Centos 7.4 or RHEL 7.4?

Maya

0 Kudos