UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor smsunny
Visitor

Using UART/USB for communication in Petalinux on Zybo Z7-10

Hello,

I am very new to Xilinx SoC, so this may sound bit foolish. I am running a bare minimum Petalinux (2019.2) on a zybo Z7-10. I followed the instructions on ug1144 to build petalinux (no bsp, just a zynq ps in bitstream). Everything is in default configuration. I can both SSH into the petalinux and use GtkTerm to establish serial communication using JTAG port.

What I need to do is to send and receive data over either UART or USB. I have a python program running which is trying to collect data from and send command to an arduino. The data/command is simple string. But when I connect the arduino using JTAG J11 or USB port, it does not show up in /dev/tty*. I first thought that I need to enable the USB in kernel. I tried to search how to do that, but couldn't find a definitive answer. In the kernel config, everything that is mentioned here is selected. I tried to some other solutions like editing the system-top.dts, but didn't work as every time I build petalinux project system-top.dts gets overwritten. I am probably looking at the wrong place and getting more confused.

As an alternative, I was thinking to use PL to do the communication and use a USB-to-TTL converter, but then I found that zybo only has TX/RX in JTAG which can only be used by PS. Is there anyway to establish communication between an arduino and PL? I just need to establish send/receive data from FPGA to arduino, PL or PS doesn't really matter.  

Is their any manual or project that I can use to achieve my goal? I am really lost here, and would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Observer joaragj
Observer

Re: Using UART/USB for communication in Petalinux on Zybo Z7-10

Have you checked if the usb is set to host mode in the device tree?

Also, changes made to the device tree should be done in system-user.dtsi in project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/device-tree/files.

This will be appended to system-top.dtsi when building.

Try and see if appending this to your system/top.dtsi solves your problem:

/ {
	usb_phy0: phy0 {
		compatible = "usb-nop-xceiv";
		#phy-cells = <0>;
		reset-gpios = <&gpio0 7 1>; /* MIO 7, GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW */
	};
};

&uart1 {
	status = "okay";
};

&usb0 {
	status = "okay";
	dr_mode = "host";
	usb-phy = <&usb_phy0>;
};
0 Kudos
Visitor smsunny
Visitor

@joaragjThank you for your reply. I appended your code to system-user.dtsi, but the issue persisted. Nothing is showing up in /dev/tty*. Here is my system-user.dtsi

/include/ "system-conf.dtsi"

/ {
	usb_phy0: phy0 {
		compatible = "usb-nop-xceiv";
		#phy-cells = <0>;
		reset-gpios = <&gpio0 7 1>; /* MIO 7, GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW */
	};
};

&uart1 {
	status = "okay";
};

&usb0 {
	status = "okay";
	dr_mode = "host";
	usb-phy = <&usb_phy0>;
};

And here is the system-top.dtsi -

/dts-v1/;
#include "zynq-7000.dtsi"
#include "pcw.dtsi"
/ {
	chosen {
		bootargs = "earlycon";
		stdout-path = "serial0:115200n8";
	};
	aliases {
		ethernet0 = &gem0;
		serial0 = &uart1;
		spi0 = &qspi;
	};
	memory {
		device_type = "memory";
		reg = <0x0 0x40000000>;
	};
};
#include "system-user.dtsi"

Do I need to change anything in the hardware design? It includes a zynq PS with default config.

I have attached some other files present in devic-etree directory after build, in case it helps to understand the scenario.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Mentor watari
Mentor

Hi @smsunny 

Would you share the followings, if possible ?

- linux kernel arguments (Confirm serial port setting)

- boot log file (make sure whether exist warning and error or not)

- result of "lsusb" on Zybo Z7-10 (make sure whether exist proper usb driver or not)

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Visitor smsunny
Visitor

@watari Thank for your reply. Here is the output of "lsusb" on Zybo Z7-10 ( I have a Ubuntu desktop connected at UART and a arduino connected at USB) - 

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I have attached two files here with kernel arguments and boot log. To make sure I have the correct things (I am very new to Linux, sorry if I made a mess here), here are the commands I used to get these files - 

sudo sysctl -a
journalctl -b

One more thing I would like to mention, I measured the voltage of UART and USB port. UART is getting 5V, but the USB is at 0V. So I think that it is almost certainly a driver or enabling issue.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Mentor watari
Mentor

Hi @smsunny 

>One more thing I would like to mention, I measured the voltage of UART and USB port. UART is getting 5V, but the USB is at 0V.

What gadget name are you using ?

It might be broken...

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Visitor smsunny
Visitor

@watari please pardon my ignorence, what did you mean by gadget name? 

0 Kudos
Mentor watari
Mentor

Hi @smsunny 

Would you explain detail about "USB-to-TTL converter" ?

I guess you use some gadget ex. FTDI 232R...

*)

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/gadget

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Visitor smsunny
Visitor

@watari Using a "USB-to-TTL converter" is an alternate way I was thinking. I have this converter, but I am not currently using that. I am currently trying to connect a USB 2.0 cable coming from an arduino to the USB port on my zybo z7-10. If this doesn't work, I am open to using the converter instead. But I am not sure how to do that either, as I would need to access RX/TX pin, which is only available to the PS.

0 Kudos