Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Utility locations in rootfs config - PetaLinux-2019.2

Jump to solution

Hey guys,

Where in the rootfs config menu can I enable 'pgrep', 'pkill' and 'fsync'. I think these used to come in busybox but the version has changed.

Side note, if anyone is looking for a complete 'dd' implementation or 'base64', they are enabled using: Filesystem Packages -> misc -> coreutils

Thanks,
Joel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar
Scholar

In case you haven't located them, procps and pkill are in the procps package (Filesystem packages -> base -> procps).

Note that many of these utilities can also be provided by busybox (at a fraction of the size of their "full" size versions). You can run "petalinux-config -c busybox" to tweak which utilities are included into busybox. This does appear to include "fsync" as an option.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Visitor
Visitor

I'm also looking for pkill (but in 2019.1).  Any luck finding it?

My side note, I was also looking for ipcs which I found in util-linux.

Thanks,

-Steve

Visitor
Visitor

Hey Steve! Glad I am not the only one. No luck yet, will let you know if I find it on my own!

0 Kudos
Scholar
Scholar

In case you haven't located them, procps and pkill are in the procps package (Filesystem packages -> base -> procps).

Note that many of these utilities can also be provided by busybox (at a fraction of the size of their "full" size versions). You can run "petalinux-config -c busybox" to tweak which utilities are included into busybox. This does appear to include "fsync" as an option.

View solution in original post

Visitor
Visitor

Thank you very much!
Looking at procps, seems to be exactly what I need for the process utilities.
I was unaware we could configure busybox directly. Unfortunately I seem to be hitting another bug there (https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Failed-to-config-busybox/td-p/1092560) but I am sure that it will do the trick once I get the config up and running. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks!

I found I pgrep and pkill in the util-linux-dev package but, unfortunately, configuring that in doubles the size of our image which is not good.  I may try configuring in just procps but I believe I did that previously and did not find pkill in the resulting image.  But I may be wrong on that.

In any event I wasn't aware that I could configure busybox, that's a great tidbit to know.  I'm always a little wary of the busybox utilities since they sometimes don't provide all of the necessary functionality (nc comes to mind).  But in the case of this set of utilities I have hope that the busybox versions are adequate.  And the good news is that they have minimal impact on image size.

0 Kudos