cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Why do differences in device tree sources generated from PetaLinux and Enclustra Build Environment occur?

I am using Mercury XU5 module (which equips Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC) and Mercury+ PE1 baseboard from Enclustra. I would like to boot Linux from SD card. 

I have used XU5 Reference Design distributed by Enclustra, and succeeded in producing HDF of the Reference Design in Vivado 2019.1. I have wanted to configure U-Boot with PetaLinux specifying the HDF, as 

$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description=MercuryXU5_PE1.sdk

After building completed, I got some binary files and a device tree blob, system.dtb.

On the other hand, we can use Enclustra Build Environment (EBE) to prepare the required binaries. EBE uses default binaries based on the Reference Design (for more information please refer to EBE user manual). Using EBE, I've got another device tree blob, devicetree.dtb

I've noticed that there are some differences between the two device trees, system.dtb from PetaLinux and devicetree.dtb, after I converted them into device tree sources, devicetree_EBE.dts and devicetree_PetaLinux.dts. 

- devicetree_EBE.dts has the 'pinctrl' node but devicetree_PetaLinux.dts doesn't.

- The values of 'linux,phandle' and 'phandle' are different.

- Some devices' statuses are 'disabled' indevicetree_EBE.dts but 'okay' indevicetree_PetaLinux.dts

- ...etc.

I attach the two dts here with the extension 'txt' because I cannot post dts files to this Forum.

Why do we have these differences even the two device tree sources (blobs) are originated from the same XU5 Reference Design? Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @KentoOkazaki 

It might be possible that the Enclustra BSP has some changes in their system-user.dtsi and is getting reflected in their final dtb file

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you, Shabbir!

It is true that EBE uses some default dtsi and PetaLinux produces the dtb only from the HDF. 

But is it alright that the two dtb have those differences? Could you tell me what the differences affect?

Thank you very much. 

0 Kudos