UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar vanmierlo
Scholar

Why does Petalinux 2017.3 start /sbin/getty 38400 tty1

Hi,

I just found that petalinux 2017.3 starts /sbin/getty 38400 tty1 from /etc/inittab . But why would it do that? I don't even have a clue what tty1 could represent. It certainly isn't my /dev/ttyPS0 for which it also starts a getty as expected.

Maarten

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar rfs613
Scholar

Re: Why does Petalinux 2017.3 start /sbin/getty 38400 tty1

I don't know why it was added... but I can tell you that tty1 is the standard "virtual console" on Linux, what you see on a PC during boot up, before the graphical desktop appears. You can usually switch between multiple such consoles (tty1 tty2 tty3 etc...) by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1, F2, F3 etc...

On an embedded system that does not have any video display hardware, this getty may be unnecessary. But it does little harm if nobody can reach it. And it does not take much memory.

The list of tty's which have getty started is configurable. Regrettably I don't know where Petalinux has this option. Google and/or grep will be able to tell you though...

0 Kudos

To disable virtual terminals alltogether you can extend the inittab recipe like so:

mkdir -p <plnx-proj-root>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/sysvinit/sysvinit-inittab

vim <plnx-proj-root>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/sysvinit/sysvinit-inittab_%.bbappend

And add the following to the .bbapend file

USE_VT = "0"

This will stop the base recipe from adding the "/sbin/getty 38400 tty1" stuff

Scholar vanmierlo
Scholar

Thanks, that seems to work. You don't need to create the sysvinit-inittab directory though.

Would you by any chance also know how to reduce or get rid of those 64 /dev/ttyN entries as well? I fail to see what their purpose is on an embedded cpu.

0 Kudos