UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor ggillett
Visitor

Why does the xilinx-tools layer require a frozen Yocto version?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am wondering what coupling in the xilinx-tools layer and perhaps xilinx-linux block the development flow of yocto.

Version 2018.3 is only specified to work with Yocto Rocko (2.4.3?). Has anyone in this channel tried other yocto versions? What problems, if any, arise?

Is  Yocto frozen because the workflow is not officially suported and does not recieve a lot of engineering hours from Xilinx? Where there early design decisions that lead to structural problems that are still being sorted out? (the separation of the tools interface into a dedicated layer appears to be relatively recent).

How do I find answers to these kind of questions? We are not opposed to hiring a consultant, where would we look for such a service?

Cheers,

Geoff Gillett.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor bshankstd
Visitor

Re: Why does the xilinx-tools layer require a frozen Yocto version?

Jump to solution
The 'meta-xilinx' mailing list at the Yocto Project might be a better place for Yocto-specific questions: https://lists.yoctoproject.org/listinfo/meta-xilinx

If you want to use newer Yocto versions, there is a 'meta-xilinx' layer that's part of the upstream Yocto Project and releases along with upstream. It'll probably be a different workflow than the PetaLinux and custom Xilinx layers use though.
6 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

with the tools constantly evolving,

both the linux / os  and the xilinx tools

Wonder what resources would be required to verify mutlipel combinations ?

Xilinx , as per all the other vendors of chips I know of,  

support a given set of systems combinatoin s, a si nthey have verified them together.

If its critical for you to have a particular versoin of anything, talk to your FAE,

as the saying goes, money talks,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor ggillett
Visitor

Jump to solution

Xilinx , as per all the other vendors of chips I know of,  

support a given set of systems combinatoin s, a si nthey have verified them together.

Trueish.

xilinx-tools is a layer containg recipies that describe how to use the Xilinx tool-chain ( binaries for Vivado, XSCT etc) to build a device tree and supporting files in order to create a BSP.

If xilinx-tools recipies are written using the public interface to the Yocto project upgrading the Yocto version should "just work" unless the Yocto project has introduced a backwards incompatibility, Yocto is well managed open source this case should be rare.

What you say relates to what can be done with the binary tool-chain more than Yocto automation of them.

Or have I misunderstood something here?

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

So every change of Yocot your proposing to re verify all the dependencies and re run all the tests.

Uhm.  you volonteering your services ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor bshankstd
Visitor

Jump to solution
The 'meta-xilinx' mailing list at the Yocto Project might be a better place for Yocto-specific questions: https://lists.yoctoproject.org/listinfo/meta-xilinx

If you want to use newer Yocto versions, there is a 'meta-xilinx' layer that's part of the upstream Yocto Project and releases along with upstream. It'll probably be a different workflow than the PetaLinux and custom Xilinx layers use though.
Visitor ggillett
Visitor

Jump to solution

No I am asking what is causing the blocking, what is improperly coupled. We would like it fixed, and are exploring hiring someone to investigate the problem and then possibly fix it.

Changes in Yocto should not generally be a problem it is just a system for automating builds using some toolchain. Its new releases of the Xilinx toolchain (Vivado etc.) that could cause a problems and require updating the recipies in in the xilinx-tools layer. But the layer should work with any version of Yocto not be tied to a specific one, I am trying to understand why it is.

We would also investigate funding this maintenence, for each Xilinx release. First we need to know the specifics of the problem.

0 Kudos
Visitor ggillett
Visitor

Jump to solution

@bshankstd wrote:

The upstream meta-xilinx layer is contributed and maintaind by Xilinx not the Yocto project, but you are right, perhaps the mailing list is a better channel to ask these questions. Since the Yocto workflow is not officially supported and open source I'd though I'd ask in a channel that may include non Xilinx employed expertise. We are also investigating hiring a pure Yocto consultant to investigate the problems in the xilinx-tools layer.

0 Kudos