UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant rankeney
Participant

Xenomai on Zynq?

I'm trying to bring up Xenomai on my Zynq system, but am having no luck. I tried the instructions at http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Xenomai+for+Zynq and found the patch supplied doesn't work (several parts are rejected) and limited instructions should I have succeeded. I found someone else here on the forum provided a patch that does work and I was able to get a kernel to build. I was hoping to integrate that kernel within the Petalinux environment, but am stuck as to how to proceed. The generated kernel is old (based on 3.8 with a xilinx-v14.5 tag). I can't see any way to integrate the vmlinux that was generated into a image.ub file. I can generate a zImage or uImage file, but how do I package a rootfs with it? It looks like maybe by using an older Petalinux version (maybe 2013.10) I can get it to boot a uImage, but I want the device tree integrated. Any hope here? I see no references to a more modern version of Xenomai.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Participant anupkini
Participant

Re: Xenomai on Zynq?

Dear Rankeney,

This thread on xenomai mailing list might be of some help to you,

https://xenomai.org/pipermail/xenomai/2015-November/035377.html

Regards,

Anup.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

You don't say a lot about what you are trying to do with Xenomai, but anything that is out of the main kernel tree is going to likely be more work. Xenamai or the RT patches for Linux are in this area.

I'm only discussing options, not trying to sell you on a solution. Another possible solution is using an AMP system design and ideally Xilinx is supporting it more if it meant your requirements.

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Multi-OS+Support+(AMP+%26+Hypervisor)

Thanks
John
0 Kudos
Participant rankeney
Participant

Thanks for the pointer. I'd looked at a few similar threads, none of which seemed to have any resolution. I'll keep my eye on it and hope someone comes up with a fix.

0 Kudos
Participant rankeney
Participant

@linnj - My preference is to stay with an AMP solution, as that is what I've been developing with (Petalinux with a bare-metal app). But we have need for an EtherCAT master, and one company offers a version based on Xenomai. I'm trying to evaluate it, and have been unable to get Xenomai running. I suggest that if XIlinx wants to keep its Wiki page at Xenomai for Zynq that it should update it with correct instructions. It appears that a number of people have tried this path and failed.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate that.
0 Kudos