cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srhodgetts
Visitor
Visitor

Xilinx PCI Express DMA Drivers and Software Guide 65444 nonblocking functionality

Hello,

The Xilinx PCI Express DMA Drivers provided here https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/65444.html work pretty well but there appears to be some missing functionality for nonblocking reads.  I'm using Xilinx_Answer_65444_Linux_Files_rel20180420.zip with Linux Centos 7 and have enable_credit_mp=1.  I have PCIe streaming setup from the FPGA, this works when there is data, but falls apart when reading and 0 bytes are returned.

In the driver there is no implementation of file_operations .poll   which would be used by sys/select or sys/poll.  So the file descriptor is always set in currentReadFdSet  for the following select() call in software.  A timeout was expected here when no data was available as currentReadFdSet only contains one fd for the /dev/xdma0.

select ((nsfd + 1) , &currentReadFdSet, NULL, NULL, &timeoutPeriod)

Secondly nowhere in the code are the file->f_flags evaluated.  There should be checks for O_NONBLOCK in the read functionality and the driver should return -EAGAIN when there is no data on a nonblocking read.

Is the driver setup for nonblocking operations?  because it appears not to be the case.

I ran an experiment using this website (files are attached) http://www.sharetechnote.com/html/Linux_DeviceDriver_Programing.html

If I comment out the testdriver_poll from file_operations like this, then select always returns true and it tries to read the data when none is available.

static struct file_operations testdriver_fops =
{
.owner = THIS_MODULE,
.open = testdriver_open,
.release = testdriver_close,
.read = testdriver_read,
.write = testdriver_write,
// .poll = testdriver_poll
};

If it is in place I only read data when it is available, the check for NONBLOCK in the read code when bytes=0 is not seen.  So this seems confirms my hypothesis with the Xilinx driver.

Thanking you in advance,

Stephanie

0 Kudos
0 Replies