cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Xilinx V4L2 TPG driver Kernel Configuration and media-ctl and yavta utilities

Hi,

I plan to use the Video Codec Unit (VCU), in the Zynz UltraScale+, to convert Xilinx Test Pattern Generator (TPG) video to H.264 and stream over Ethernet with GStreamer (on my custom board).

So I am viewing web page https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841638/Xilinx+V4L2+TPG+driver 

In this page is mentioned "Kernel Configuration CONFIG_VIDEO_XILINX_TPG and CONFIG_VIDEO_XILINX should be enabled." - How do I do enable them in the PetaLinux tool?

Also mentioned is using media-ctl and yavta utilities - How do I get the PetaLinux tool to include these?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Part solution:

media-ctl and yavta utilities are part of v4l utilities and included when the packagegroup-petalinux-v4lutils is selected via petalinux-config -c rootfs

v4utils.jpg

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

So I still need to know what https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841638/Xilinx+V4L2+TPG+driver is meaning by this:

KernelConfig.JPG

i.e. How do I enable these in the PetaLinux tools?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I have called petalinux-config -c kernel and then looked through the menus but I am unable to find CONFIG_VIDEO_XILINX_TPG, CONFIG_VIDEO_XILINX and CONFIG_VIDEO_XILINX_VTC

I would grateful if any one would be able to share where these settings are?

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hello,

I have same question about V4L2 SDI RX driver.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Scholar
Scholar

Hi

For SDI RX, CONFIG_VIDEO_XILINX_SDIRXSS should be enabled

Voyager
Voyager

Hello @hokim ,

thank you very much. However how can I check if it is enabled. I added to an ultrazed vcu only project the SDI RX part but there is not /dev/media0 or /dev/video0 in petalinux. Is there anything that I have to manualy enable in petalinux tool? 

0 Kudos
Scholar
Scholar

Voyager
Voyager

Hi @hokim,

Thank you very much for the help. I'll take a look. It's not very clear for me which part of device tree is automatically generated from xsa/hdf and  which one I have to manually edit.

0 Kudos
Scholar
Scholar

After petalinux-config --get-hw-description=....., do petalinux-build -c device-tree -x configure

Then, you can see generated video pipeline for sdi in <project>/components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree/pl.dtsi

You should modify some properties of nodes in system-user.dtsi like this

&sdi_rx_input_v_proc_ss_0 {
    reset-gpios = <&gpio 78 1>;	
    compatible = "xlnx,v-vpss-scaler";
};
&scaler_port0 {
    xlnx,video-format = <0x2>; // XVIP_VF_RBG in xilinx-vip.h
    xlnx,video-width = <0x8>;
};
&scaler_port1 {
    xlnx,video-format = <0x3>; // XVIP_VF_YUV_420
    xlnx,video-width = <0x8>;
};

The above excerpt can be found in design-fixes.dtsi of ultrazed bsp

Finally, you have to see the video pipeline at https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/32735264/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+VCU+TRD+2018.3+-+SDI+Video+Capture#ZynqUltraScale%EF%BC%8BMPSoCVCUTRD2018.3-SDIVideoCapture-4AppendixBSDILinkStatus

Voyager
Voyager

Hi @hokim ,

thank you very very much! I could also include pl.dtsi in system-user.dtsi or in this way  there could be errors?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pierlum,

Yes, you can add Pl node in system-user.dtsi. Which version you are working on?

Thank & Regards,

Shubhangi

Voyager
Voyager

Hi @smahalle ,

Ithank you very much for the help. I'm working with 2019.2 tools. 

EDIT: Now I imported pl.dtsi insisde system-user-dtsi and I generated SD images and v4lutils in petalinux-tool are enabled but on the running board under /dev I can't find SDI devices video* or media*. What am i doing wrong?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos