Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Xillybus issue

Jump to solution

Hello,

Board: Myir Z-turn Board 

I try to connect PL and PS through xillybus ip. I use xillydemo project to generate bitstream. But there are problems with it. When I try to configure PL through command "cat xillydemo.bit > /dev/xdevcfg" it is not configured succesfully ( led is staying red, while other bitstreams lead to white at finish). If I include that bitstream to BOOT.bin through the SDK, then I dont give response by the board. (X session doesnt start, no reply to PUTTY). I have compiled xillybus_core and xillybus_pcie successfully, and they load normally (I get kernel taint, but I'm not sure within it is a caution or real problem), so I guess that problem is on the PL side.

Please give some advice, what steps I can make to figure the problem.

Best regards

P.S. I also don't get any serial information when use BOOT.bin with this bitstream included

P.S.S I changed device in vivado project from xc7z020clg400-1 to Z-turn Board (xc7z020clg400-1). Suddenly it changed something. Now this bitstream configures normally (with white LED), if I use cat > xdevcfg. But I still don't get any reply from board if I use BOOT.bin with this bitstream included. And I still don't have xillybus devices in /dev/. What should I look for?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello,

For the record, Z-turn Lite is supported with Xillinux, and the non-Lite Z-turn board isn't supported at all.

Making Xillybus' IP core work on a system other than Xillinux is quite tricky, to say the least. There's a reason that it comes packed with its own distribution.

As for why you might not see the device files. I'll just mention a few things to pay attention to:

Even though the ARM processor's parameters are set up in the block design, these settings are made effective by software (typically the FSBL), which writes the settings to registers. Things like the bus' clock frequency and the parameters of the AXI ports.

What makes this really tricky is that the processor's settings in the Xillinux bundle match those of the targeted board. Including delicate things such as the DDR memory configuration. So you need to mix and match between the settings of the target board and those required for the IP to work.

You also need a device tree entry, so that the Linux kernel knows where to find the device (register addresses and interrupt).

Some relevant information can be found in the Getting started with Xillinux for Zynq-7000, section 5.2 ("Using other boards"):

http://xillybus.com/downloads/doc/xillybus_getting_started_zynq.pdf

Regards,

Eli

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello,

For the record, Z-turn Lite is supported with Xillinux, and the non-Lite Z-turn board isn't supported at all.

Making Xillybus' IP core work on a system other than Xillinux is quite tricky, to say the least. There's a reason that it comes packed with its own distribution.

As for why you might not see the device files. I'll just mention a few things to pay attention to:

Even though the ARM processor's parameters are set up in the block design, these settings are made effective by software (typically the FSBL), which writes the settings to registers. Things like the bus' clock frequency and the parameters of the AXI ports.

What makes this really tricky is that the processor's settings in the Xillinux bundle match those of the targeted board. Including delicate things such as the DDR memory configuration. So you need to mix and match between the settings of the target board and those required for the IP to work.

You also need a device tree entry, so that the Linux kernel knows where to find the device (register addresses and interrupt).

Some relevant information can be found in the Getting started with Xillinux for Zynq-7000, section 5.2 ("Using other boards"):

http://xillybus.com/downloads/doc/xillybus_getting_started_zynq.pdf

Regards,

Eli

View solution in original post