cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vgokhale
Explorer
Explorer

ZC706 reboots without notice

I am using the latest commit in the linux-xlnx repo along with the latest u-boot to boot linux on the ZC706. I was able to boot it successfully. However, the board reboots after ~30 seconds without any reason. Could someone tell me what the problem is or where I can look to begin debuugging it?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
achutha
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@vgokhale

If you have not looked into the REASON look into the link below to understand the root cause of the reset.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/52030.html

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
vgokhale
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks @achutha. I am a bit puzzled by this. The register 0xF8000258 returns 0x00480000. This value sets bits 19 and 23 of the REBOOT_STATUS register. Bit 23 is reserved and bit 19 is set for soft reset.

Yes, I know it was a soft reset because the system rebooted on its own. I want to know WHY the system is rebooting on its own. Can you please advise on how to proceed from here?

Thanks,

Vinay

0 Kudos
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher

does "soft reset" preclude power supply / temperature related reboots ? is the fan working ? do you have any issues with your wall plug?

also when you say "latest commit" do you mean 4.0 ? i upgraded to 4.0 and my spi started crashing the kernel so there are some problems with the latest commit. Try checking out an earlier commit, something of the 3.19 range and rebuild your kernel. I have never had any issues with those.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
vgokhale
Explorer
Explorer

>> does "soft reset" preclude power supply / temperature related reboots ? is the fan working ? do you have any issues with your wall plug?

Do not know but the PSU is not the problem / yes / no.

>> also when you say "latest commit" do you mean 4.0

Yes, the latest commit as of that posting. 

Anyways, thanks for your response .I have attached my working device tree here. The tree generated by the SDK does not work. I do not wish to spend time diffing the two, but I used the one that came with the kernel repo and modified it to suit our purpose. If someone is interested, they can see the difference by diffing the tree generated by the SDK and the one that comes with the kernel. It can be found under arch/arm/boot/dts.

P.S., @muzaffer the most recent commit messages on the kernel repo mention fixes to SPI, just in case you haven't pulled it already....thanks again for your time...

0 Kudos
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
vgokhale
Explorer
Explorer

@muzaffer It is commit 282083e0597b33c157f72ccdb2b88fc01df09816. I have not looked at it in detail. I only remembered the mention of SPI in the commit message. It could be that it is unrelated.

0 Kudos