UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZCU102 APU L2 cache is held in reset, petalinux-boot --jtag --prebuilt 3 fail on 2018.3

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am upgrading to 2018.3, from 2017.4. I am now trying to test my petalinux setup. The installation went well.  However, can't get the kernel to boot, using "petalinux --jtag --prebuilt 1 or 2 or 3. FPGA bitstream is loaded but afterwards, it fails at the pmufw.elf downloading step. Verbose is showing a "failed download, APU L2 cache is in reset". My dipswitches are all ON for JTAG boot. My petalinux and ZCU102 BSP are all updated to 2018.3 (fresh Linux machine setup). I followed the UG1144 guide, which worked well on 2017.4. I'm not an expert but I feel like there's something wrong in the prebuilt bootsequence.

Anyone having the same issue?

Regards,

JB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ZCU102 APU L2 cache is held in reset, petalinux-boot --jtag --prebuilt 3 fail on 2018.3

Jump to solution

Thanks sir. I tried your approach and it works fine, so it seems to be related to my setup. Indeed, the PC I used wasn't totally fresh and is under Ubuntu 16.04.1. So I build up a fresh VM with Ubuntu 16.04.3 and everything works fine. So, I'm not sure where the problem is but at least it does not seem to be Xilinx related.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Observer gosha-z
Observer

Re: ZCU102 APU L2 cache is held in reset, petalinux-boot --jtag --prebuilt 3 fail on 2018.3

Jump to solution

Have you tried to do a "manual" boot of the system? I mean manually downloading and running pmufw, fsbl, bl31 (atf) and u-boot using xsct.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for replying. I did not tried using XSCT yet but instead of booting JTAG, I package the pre-built files into a BOOT.BIN and put the file in an SD card with the image.ub. SD card boot is performing as expected so I don't know what's wrong with the JTAG boot mode. Is it normal that after downloading the bitstream, pmufw.elf is loaded? Shouldn't it load the zynqmp_fsbl.elf first? or maybe that's the TrustZone level which isn't correct.

0 Kudos
Observer gosha-z
Observer

Jump to solution

The correct load order is:

1. Load and run pmufw.elf into PMU ( You should "open" PMU, it's not visible with "targets" command after board reset).

2. Switch to A53-0, reset it,  download and run fsbl. At this step you should see something in console.

3. Download, but not run, u-boot.elf

4. Download and run bl31.elf. At this step, you should see atf notices on console then execution should automatically transfer to u-boot and you should see u-boot output on the console.

Check that U-Boot messages are correct according your hardware (especially memory size)

If these are correct, try to download and start FIT image

Hope this helps

Igor

Jump to solution

Thanks sir. I tried your approach and it works fine, so it seems to be related to my setup. Indeed, the PC I used wasn't totally fresh and is under Ubuntu 16.04.1. So I build up a fresh VM with Ubuntu 16.04.3 and everything works fine. So, I'm not sure where the problem is but at least it does not seem to be Xilinx related.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos