UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

ZCU102 ubuntu desktop using Petalinux 2019.1

Hi,

I am trying to do the ZCU102 ubuntu desktop available at :

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841937/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+2+-+Building+and+Running+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+From+Sources

But I am using Petalinux 2019.1 instead of 2018.3, I followed all the steps correctly, when I use the given the given .img file the design works correctly and the ubuntu GUI desktop runs, but when i follow the steps to build the .ub and .BIN files and replace it with the files on the SD card the ubuntu desktop doesn't run, instead the Display shows linux login terminal without GUI. I have attached a picture of the booting data i get befor showing the login terrminal. Is it incompatibale with Petalinux 2019.1 or am I missing something ?

IMG_0004.jpg
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ZCU102 ubuntu desktop using Petalinux 2019.1

1. Download an Ubuntu ARM64 image from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi
  2. Write the image to an SD card
  3. Create a PetaLinux project using zcu102 bsp
  4. Run petalinux-config and change rootfs type to "SD card"
  5. Build the project
  6. Create BOOT.bin and image.ub
  7. Remove everything under the boot partition of the SD card and copy these two files there, do not touch the rootfs partition
  8. To enable GUI on Ubuntu install a display manager such as lightdm
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

If you want to run Ubuntu on ZCU102 I have given you the steps.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot,

but the problem is that I am still learning so I need to follow some sort of a tutorial because there is a lot of stuff that I will be stuck in when following your procedure, for example I am dont know how should i modify the BOOTARGS and configuring the kernel in Petalinux in that case to have it running correctly. as you see I am stuck in the step by step Tutorial

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

You don't have to modify the bootargs or change the kernel configuration to run Ubuntu.

Once you have a working Ubuntu system you can start playing with it.

If you have trouble following the steps you can always ask.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Are you sure ? I dont even need to configure the petalinux to enable the SD card for rootfs: select ‘Image Packaging Configuration->Root file system type->SD card’?

and i dont need to set the kernelargs to

earlycon clk_ignore_unused earlyprintk root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait cma=1024M

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

• petalinux-config : hardware configuration
  • petalinux-config -c kernel : kernel configuration
  • petalinux-config -c rootfs : root file system configuration

Changing rootfs type is the only thing you have to do regarding configuration.

Default bootargs will boot the system.

I always follow these steps and successfully run Ubuntu on any Xilinx device.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

These steps are succesful for running Ubuntu but not for running desktop, there is still missing steps in getting the Ubuntu-desktop application to run on the ZCU102 board I hope if any one has experience in this

0 Kudos
Visitor vae
Visitor

Hello, I am currently experiencing this problem. I have downloaded the latest BSP file and generated BOOT.BIN and image.ub files in the pre-build directory via petaLinux. When I copy these two files to the SD card, I then start the ZCU102 board, the screen only Display the GUI of the command line, I can't see the Ubuntu desktop. When I log in to the system with the root username and password, I find that there are a lot of commands missing, such as: apt-get, systemctl, etc. Is your problem solved?Thanks.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

@vae 

You are probably booting into PetaLinux, not Ubuntu. PetaLinux does not let you add a package manager such as apt.

Make sure you have selected SD card as the rootfs type.

@ahmedmohamed85 

Try switching between your virtual terminals. You can switch to the 7th terminal by pressing

CTRL+ALT+F7

X server should be running on this terminal.

0 Kudos
Visitor vae
Visitor

Thanks for your answer, I follow https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841937/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+2+-+Building+and+Running+the +Ubuntu+Desktop+From+Sources, but ignore the Vivado related operations, start the operation directly from the BSP creation project,use the hdf file given in the tutorial, and configure the petaLinux and kernel, and finally generate in the image/linux directory. But when I copy the file to the SD card, the board is activated, the monitor does not respond, am I missing some steps? I noticed the light next to the SD card on the board. The yellow light is always on, not blinking.I gave detailed steps in the picture.
step.png
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

@vae 

Maybe the DisplayPort or HDMI is not enabled in the HDF you are using. Maybe the OS is not even booting. Can you share the boot log (connect a UART cable between your board and PC).

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @vae 

Would you share the following result, if you can use serial console ?

You can investigate route cause of DisplayPort or/and HDMI issue.

$ ls /sys/devices/platform/amba_pl@0/

$ ls /sys/devices/platform/amba/

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Visitor vae
Visitor

After I connect using PUTTY, I start the board. The black window only displays "!!Press ESC enter system control mode". I did it, but it didn't work.

When I use other SD cards that can be started normally, the terminal has information output and the Ubuntu desktop is displayed normally.

So I suspect that the system I configured is not started at all.

I noticed that the last step in the tutorial is to copy the BOOT.BIN and image.ub files to the boot partition of the SD card, but my approach is: just pass another Win10 computer open SD card, then ctrl-c, ctrl-v.... system can not be started for this reason?

If so, then I should know what to do next. Because my operation should have no other problems from beginning to end; if it is not for this reason, what should I do to correctly display the relevant log information on the PUTTY terminal?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Visitor vae
Visitor

Thanks,some new problems have been found in my previous reply message.Can you give me some advice?

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @vae 

Would you do the followings to clear what is occuring at your side ?

- Make sure file system to investigate whether partition issue or not on ubuntu.

$ df -T -k

- What kind of SD card are you using ? Clear capacity (ex. 4GB), compatibility (ex. SDXC), interface standard (ex. UGH-I) and so on,

- Try to repair failed sector by using "chkdsk" on Windows, if necessary or want to make sure quality of SD card.

=> I suspect your SD card is something wrong, like there are some failed sector...

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Visitor vae
Visitor

In win10 through the chkdsk command, the SD card is no problem.

When I specify the boot and root partitions through the fdisk command in Linux, then copy the file, connect the serial port, start the board, and the black window of PUTTY finally has the output information.

The information has been attached to the file. Although I don't know the specific content, I can obviously see:

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000

so what should I do next? Looking forward to your reply!

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @vae 

How and what do you describe kernel arguments ?

It seems that there is something wrong on kernel arguments.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Visitor vae
Visitor

I followed the tutorial to configure the kernel, just added more network-related kernel parameters.

I tried to copy the root and boot partitions of another normal system and the system could start normally. But the kernel parameters I need don't seem to be turned on on this system.

In fact, I just need to execute the command: iptables -t nat -L, but the cmd prompt:
Can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I have already looked up a lot of relevant information before, and I finally suspect that the kernel lacks the relevant configuration, so this series of operations will be available.

I am still trying to configure the kernel so that the Ubuntu desktop can be displayed.

0 Kudos