UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor devang01
Visitor

ZU+ ZCU102: run U-Boot on RPU

Jump to solution

I have been running and modifying u-boot to run on the APU but it would be useful to be able to explore running u-boot on the RPU to do the same thing.

I found this post about adding support for the R5 and it mentions using a u-boot.elf as with the A53. The u-boot repo indeed contains support for building u-boot for the R5, however only a u-boot.bin is generated (building for the A53 also produces a u-boot.elf). This post also says that it was only tested on a ZCU100 rev C (I am using a ZCU102 rev1.1)

I tried to use the u-boot.bin over JTAG using XSCT by manually providing the load address (tried 0x0, 0x10000000, and 0x20000000 based on the R5 defconfig CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE=0x10000000) and then . For context, the A53 generated u-boot.elf "Entry point address" matches its defconfig CONFIG_SYS_TEST_BASE.

Example (after having first run the FSBL)

targets -set -filter {name =~ "Cortex-R5 #0"}
dow -data $uboot_path 0x10000000
con -addr 0x10000000

Despite what I tried, I was not able to get u-boot to run at all (there was no UART output). Did I do something wrong or is u-boot not currently supported to run on a ZCU102 R5 core?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ZU+ ZCU102: run U-Boot on RPU

Jump to solution

You cannot run u-boot on R5. This is unsupported

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
5 Replies
Visitor devang01
Visitor

Jump to solution
I should also mention that I am able to use u-boot.bin for the A53 but the same process does not work for the R5.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You cannot run u-boot on R5. This is unsupported

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
You can only run RTOS or Bare-metal on RPU.
for more details, please check
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/ug1228-ultrafast-embedded-design-methodology-guide.pdf
Visitor devang01
Visitor

Jump to solution
Are there any plans to support this in the future? Are there any specific hurdles preventing u-boot from running on an R5?
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Xilinx doesn’t have any plan, but u-boot is an open-source platform, you can make it work on R5 by yourself.
Please just google it, you can find some kind of patch. You can try it and modified device drivers as required for their specific systems.

Similar to Linux, there is a real-time RT PREEMPT patch, some customers have successfully run it. But just Xilinx does not support, test or validate such non-standard configurations.
0 Kudos