UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie gk3952

Zynq Ultrascale+ Mali GPU

I am working on the Mali-400 GPU part of the Zynq Ultrascale+ ZCU102 board. Every tutorial I've seen that utilizes the GPU is displaying some graphics coded with OpenGL. I want to use the GPU as a computation unit, ideally running OpenCL. Is this possible to do? From what I have read, it doesn't seem like the Mali-400 MP2 supports OpenCL. What makes this GPU not support it? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Visitor matt.zimm91
Visitor

Re: Zynq Ultrascale+ Mali GPU

Hello gk3952,

I know this is an old topic, but did you get an answer to your question elsewhere?

I am interested in using Mali-400 GPU of a Zynq UltraScale+ to perform image warp, but not to display it.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Re: Zynq Ultrascale+ Mali GPU

I'm not an OpenGL / OpenCL expert, I was looking around if the Mali GPU could be used with OpenCL, so I could learn more about it. I found this on an ARM forum :

Mali-400 only supports OpenGL ES 2.0; there is no support for OpenCL in the hardware.

Using OpenGL for GPGPU workloads is possible, but with OpenGL ES 2.0 only there will be many limitations.

The pixel processors are the main data crunching capacity, but they only support "mediump" fp16 (and not IEEE fp16 at that) processing precision.

In addition their only ability to output data is via image framebuffer output (e.g. render to texture), so you'll need to map your output data set in to RGBA8 color data and store it into a texture which can be read back on to the CPU.

I was thinking if i have a Zynq US+ EG device at my disposal, without an external display connected, why not use it for OpenCL :-) But looks like that is not it's intended use (?)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos