Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Zynq eth0 doesn't work

Hi,

I am using xczu7ev with a customized board. We attached Marvell 88E1512 phy to PS gem2. I have set MDIO interface and GEM2 IO accordingly in vivado. After building petalinux, I am able to see eth0 existing, but I failed to ping other IPs in the same network or the other way around. There is no TX or RX packets. When booting, I am seeing phy addr is FFFFFF.

I searched for a few solution and thought it could be device tree issue, because we are using phy addr 1. In u-boot, I can do mii read/write through phy addr 1. So I added below to device tree and I can see phy addr shows as 1 during linux boot. However, I couldn't see eth0 any more by using eth0. Can anyone point me what is the right way to do it? Another ticket mentioned about setting schmitt trigger type in vivado, which didn't work in my side, either.

/include/ "system-conf.dtsi"
/ {
mdio {
#address-cells = <0x2>;
#size-cells = <0x2>;
reg = <0x0 0xff0d0000 0x0 0x1000>;
clock-names = "pclk", "hclk", "tx_clk"; /* Don't touch */
ethernet_phy0: ethernet-phy@0 {
device_type = "ethernet-phy";
reg = <1>;
};

};
};

Thanks!

&gem2 {
phy-handle = <&ethernet_phy0>;
};

Thanks,

Hao

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Zynq eth0 doesn't work

Hi @mushihao 

I have a few queries around this:

Could you please confirm what version of vivado/petalinux being used at your end? Are you using shared MDIO?

Did you try running Lwip echo server standalone test, just to ensure that the design is configured correctly?

Take a look into this forum thread on working device tree snippet:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/How-to-solve-dual-Marvell-88e1512-PHY-Ethernet-problem-in/td-p/984844

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mushihao,

When the Linux Kernel boots, it takes the device tree and attempts to connect to the PHY which is listed in the DT. Based on the response back from the PHY, it then loads the appropriate driver Here we can see a successful probe of the PHY (in my case the ZCU102 on-board PHY at address 0x0c):

[    5.232490] TI DP83867 ff0e0000.ethernet-ffffffff:0c: attached PHY driver [TI DP83867] (mii_bus:phy_addr=ff0e0000.ethernet-ffffffff:0c, irq=POLL)

The PHY address actually comes after the string of f's. You can also see that it has correctly identified the PHY as a TI DP83867.

If you're not using a shared MDIO bus, I would recommend the following change to your device tree:

/include/ "system-conf.dtsi"
/ {
};

&gem2 {
status = "okay"; phy-handle = <&ethernet_phy1>;
ethernet_phy1: ethernet-phy@1 {
device_type = "ethernet-phy";
reg = <1>;
}; };

If you are sharing the MDIO bus, the device tree will be slightly different, and you may need a patch (both dependant on what version of the tools you're using).

Thanks,

Clayton

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Shabbir,

I am not using shared MDIO. Only gem2 is enabled and 1 phy is connected to it. I haven't run the lwip echo server standalone test yet.

Thanks,

Hao

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Clayton,

I modified device tree as you suggested. I can see phy address shown as 1 during boot now, and ifconfig has eth0. However, I still cannot ping external device through petalinux or the other way around. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Hao

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mushihao,

When you see eth0 in ifconfig, do you see both TX and RX packets? Can you post the output of the following:

dmesg | grep eth

If you're not assigning an IP address to the interface manually you'll need to be running a DHCP server on your network. Do you happen to know what your network topology between the board and your external machine looks like?

Thanks,

Clayton

0 Kudos