UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

ZynqMP MPSoC boot error

Hello,

I am yet another guy trying to debug Linux boot on ZynqMP, ZCU104.  I have always had good luck running Linux on 32 bit Zynq but this new 64 bit processor won't cooperate.

I need a non-volatile root file system and the full Linux command set so I am trying to mount rootfs from the SD card.  I compiled u-boot, kernel, ATF and device tree following the instructions on the Xilinx OSL Wiki. U-boot runs great and I can launch the kernel running I just never receive the Linux command prompt.

I am using the "run sdboot" command and bootargs that are configured into u-boot-xlnx.  They look right.

Below is the tail of the boot message.  I'm hoping someone will recognize some of those last few messages and point me in the right direction.  The last three messages seem to be trying to tell me something. Is there a way to get more information?

[ 4.123071] dwc3: probe of fe200000.dwc3 failed with error -22
[ 4.129637] rtc_zynqmp ffa60000.rtc: setting system clock to 2018-01-27 22:46:52 UTC (1517093212)
[ 4.138395] clk: Not disabling unused clocks
[ 4.142584] ALSA device list:
[ 4.145484] #0: DisplayPort monitor
[ 4.149136] Warning: unable to open an initial console.
[ 4.154421] Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
[ 5.039264] [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes

----------------------------------------
DSP in hardware and software
-----------------------------------------
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ZynqMP MPSoC boot error

HI Pedro,

Can you please share the complete log and are you trying to use the rootfs from mmcblk0p2 partition.

also run the printenv in u-boot console and share that log as well.

Thanks & Regards

Aravind

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Can you please try to boot with the pre-built image from http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq2018.1+Release and see if the issue can be reproduced?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

Aravind,

Yes, I am trying to use the mmcblk0p2 partition as my rootfs.

I attach the putty.log from release of reset. Then I do printenv in u-boot and finally run sdboot to start the kernel.

Pete

0 Kudos
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

I tried running those pre-built images by copying BOOT.BIN, image.ub and system.dtb to the BOOT partition of my sdcard.  The "boot" command starts the kernel with a ram filesystem and all the busybox pseudo commands.

I guess this confirms my hardware is ok.

I'm not really familiar with the image.ub file.  I'm guessing that is a container format that holds the kernel, rootfs and device tree blob.

Where should I go from here to boot a true linux filesystem from the sdcard?

Pete

0 Kudos

Hi @pedro_uno,

You need to fix your boot args.

[    0.000000] Kernel command line: earlycon clk_ignore_unused console=ttyO0,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait

as

earlycon clk_ignore_unused console=ttyPS0,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait
Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

I changed the bootargs as you suggested but the linux boot fails in exactly the same way as before.

Is there a DEBUG option or something I can enable in the kernel to get more information about what is happening?

0 Kudos