cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
se17828
Adventurer
Adventurer

compact flash

Hello, as I posted in other threads I recently got the linux-2.6-xlnx running on a SP605 with microblaze. However, I now whant to acctually execute some application on it.

My first option I guess would be to put the app inside the ramdisk image, however, It is really tedious to re-build the kernel with the new ramdisk image everytime you whant to change something.

My other option I guess would be putting the app on the compact-flash that my board has which for me rises more questions:

1. In order to partition and copy files into the compact flash, do I need a CF adapter?  the reason I am asking is that I don't have a compact-flash programmer right now and I whant to know if I would need one to do this. I did try to program the CF card using impact and the jtag chain (as it is hooked up to the chain according to impact) but i was not successfull, somebody knows any document that explains how to do it?

2. I have tried to inlcude System Ace in my XPS project (with interrupt enabled) and builded the dts file and everything but I don't know which configure setting should be modified before configureing the kernel. I have looked around the menuconfig but I have not found anything that looks like the sysace driver, also, I guess I must enable support for the CF filesystem which should be the same one it shipped with as i have not written on it. So, what should I enable in the menuconfig? once on the board's shell how do I access the CF? (i have xsa1 under /dev/ but when I try "mount /dev/xsa1 I get an error saying "can't find /dev/xsa1 in /etc/fstab)

Thanks in adavanced for your time.

PS: I have been trying to do it by placing the executable file inside my rootfs.cpio file. I have followed http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/how-to-make-a-initramfs-by-cpio/m-p/81695 to do it. However after appending my app in the filesystem if i use "find . | cpio  -H newc -o > xxx.cpio" or "find -print | cpio  -H newc -o > xxx.cpio" (from the post i don't really understand wich should be used) I get an error sayin the the file ./rootfs.cpio has grown and that 27590144 new bytes have not been copied, besides, the new rootfs.cpio weights 60MB while the original one weights 34 MB. If I use "find -print | cpio -ov > rootfs.cpio" I get no error but the files is still 60MB heavy. I have observed the same results wether if I put my app in the filesystem or if i just unmount and try to mount again withou modifying anything.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

One other option you can use during development is to mount an NFS share on your linux host.. Then you can build your application on the linux host and see it from the target.. Once things are stable, you can just go back to the ramdisk..

For the CF, it's definitely doable.. Search this forum (and the petalinux mailing list)  and I think you'll find some examples.. You could also use the NOR flash on the board.

Terry

0 Kudos
se17828
Adventurer
Adventurer

Please someone help me.. I have tried to run the kernel compiled with those larger images of rootfs.cpio. In one case it loads but at the ends gives me an error saying that it can not lauch the console (this happens using the rootfs.cpio mounted using the "print . | cpio -H newc -ov rootfs.cpio". If i try to do the same with the image of rootfs.cpio mounted using "print . | cpio -ov rootfs.cpio" I boots but it only prints to lines: "early_printk_console is enabled at 0x84000000" and " Ramdisk addr 0x00000003, Compiled-in FDT at 0xc024b8e8"

Please help me....

0 Kudos
se17828
Adventurer
Adventurer

terry I already serched and didn't find anything.... Do you know if the dev I am seeing xsa1 is in fact the CF?? how should I do to mount it? If i can see it, does it means that all the drivers are in place?

0 Kudos
se17828
Adventurer
Adventurer

Toneal, where do you mean with "petalinux mailing list"? I have visited the petalinux website and there is no forum or newsgroup i can join... I think my boss (professor at university) has requested a free licence to petalogix based on their university program or something. However, it has not been received yet.

Where can I look? could you be more specific please?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos