UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer a70024
Observer

compile error - can't find system-top.dtsi

Jump to solution

Dear XLINIX:

I was  DM1 example with petalinux-build command, and run into a compile error, it seams can't find system-top.dts.

could you help me to deal with this error?

My petalinux is installed by petalinux-v2017.4-final-installer.run. and here is all build command I used.

cd $TRD_HOME/apu/petalinux_bsp
petalinux-config --oldconfig
cd project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/device-tree/files/
cp zcu102-base-dm1.dtsi system-user.dtsi
petalinux-build

DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
gcc: error: /home/lucas/Project/ZCU102/source/TRD_HOME/rdf0429-zcu102-es2-base-trd-2017-1/apu/petalinux_bsp/build/../components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree-generation/system-top.dts: No such file or directory
gcc: warning: ‘-x assembler-with-cpp’ after last input file has no effect
gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
WARNING: /home/lucas/Project/ZCU102/source/TRD_HOME/rdf0429-zcu102-es2-base-trd-2017-1/apu/petalinux_bsp/build/tmp/work/plnx_aarch64-xilinx-linux/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/temp/run.do_compile.9937:1 exit 1 from 'gcc -E -nostdinc -Ulinux -I/home/lucas/Project/ZCU102/source/TRD_HOME/rdf0429-zcu102-es2-base-trd-2017-1/apu/petalinux_bsp/build/tmp/work/plnx_aarch64-xilinx-linux/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0 -I/home/lucas/Project/ZCU102/source/TRD_HOME/rdf0429-zcu102-es2-base-trd-2017-1/apu/petalinux_bsp/build/../components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree-generation -I/home/lucas/Project/ZCU102/source/TRD_HOME/rdf0429-zcu102-es2-base-trd-2017-1/apu/petalinux_bsp/build/tmp/work-shared/plnx_aarch64/kernel-source/include -x assembler-with-cpp -o /home/lucas/Project/ZCU102/source/TRD_HOME/rdf0429-zcu102-es2-base-trd-2017-1/apu/petalinux_bsp/build/../components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree-generation/plnx_aarch64-system.pp /home/lucas/Project/ZCU102/source/TRD_HOME/rdf0429-zcu102-es2-base-trd-2017-1/apu/petalinux_bsp/build/../components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree-generation/system-top.dts'
ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/lucas/Project/ZCU102/source/TRD_HOME/rdf0429-zcu102-es2-base-trd-2017-1/apu/petalinux_bsp/build/tmp/work/plnx_aarch64-xilinx-linux/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/temp/log.do_compile.9937)

Best regards

Lucas liu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: compile error - can't find system-top.dtsi

Jump to solution

Hi @a70024,

PetaLinux 2016.4 onwards is yocto backend so you don't see the kernel source under components directory like older petalinux tools.

Refer UG1144 for more details.

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi Lucas,

Looks like you are using the 2017-1 bsp with your 2017-4 installation. Please use the 2017-4 bsp which you can download here, under Petalinux-2017.4 Installation Files.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/embedded-design-tools.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer a70024
Observer

Jump to solution

Dear Xinlinx:

after following your guide, I can build petalinux correctly. thanks a lot.

But I don't see kernel code exist under the component/ folder.

If I have a requirement to customized kernel code, do I need to download petalinux-v2017.1-open_source_components.tar.gz from official site and decompress it under component/ by myself?

If I do so, is petalinux-build flow able to build the installed kernel code automatically?

Best Regards

Lucas

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @a70024,

PetaLinux 2016.4 onwards is yocto backend so you don't see the kernel source under components directory like older petalinux tools.

Refer UG1144 for more details.

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos