Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rani.feldman
Observer
Observer

device tree blob separated from image.ub

Hello,

I am using Petalinux 2019.2 with ZYNQ7000.

I am loading my image from QSPI and I want to separate the device tree blob from the image.ub

I changed the following setting in petalinux configuration: [Subsystem AUTO Hardware Settings] → [Advanced bootable images storage Settings] → [dtb image settings] → [image storage media] from [from boot image] to [primary flash],

but the image.ub still contains the dtb inside it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
stephenm

you can just create the FIT image manually (or copy this from the tmp dir), and use the mkimage utility to rebuild:

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841722/ZCU102+Image+creation+in+OSL+flow

0 Kudos
rani.feldman
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I do not understand how your answer relates to my question

1. I am using Petalinux build tools and I am not using Open Source Linux

2. I am booting from QSPI and not from SD, and I do not want the DTB to be part of the Linux image.

3. The Petalinux configuration should enable to add or not the DTB to the image, and currently it does not.

Thank you

0 Kudos
stephenm

There is no configuration to do this in petalinux. The last post was a way to achieve this. 

Petalinux simply creates a fit image and uses this to create the uboot bootable image, image.ub.

You can do the same. The wiki simply shows how to create a fit, or just use the one from petalinux in the tmp dir. (See ug1144 for how petalinux uses the tmp dir)

If you are using ubuntu, you can do an apt-get install uboot-mkimage

0 Kudos
rani.feldman
Observer
Observer

Hi @stephenm 

Thank you for you answer.

If I understand you correctly you are saying that in order to build a Linux image without the DTB I need to take the image that was build by Petalinux (from the TMP directory) and manipulate it using mkimage utility to rebuild it (remove the DTB from the image). Is this correct?
And also that the setting in petaLinux Subsystem AUTO Hardware Settings] → [Advanced bootable images storage Settings] → [dtb image settings] → [image storage media] Has no effect

0 Kudos
stephenm

It is something i will have try try in petalinux and file a CR to have the tools updated.

For now, you do this manually in mkimage