cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
4,885 Views
Registered: ‎06-23-2013

/etc/init/mountall.conf of Ubuntu12.10

Jump to solution

Suspect our custom board i102 did not run /etc/init/mountall.conf after it printed

hand off to new root                   Can anybody tell me where this "hand off to new root" message comes from ?

Disconnected from Plymouth   I believe this comes from /sbin/mountall which should have run from mountall.conf

 

On our zc706, by adding echo and logger to both pre-start script and script, /var/log/boot.log has  messages below.

Our i102 has empty boot.log, so any hints on debugging before mountall.conf ?

 

doreen pre-start mountall.conf                                                                                                             
doreen pre-start logger mountall.conf[712]: ERROR:doreen logger mountall.conf                                                              
doreen script mountall.conf                                                                                                                
doreen script mountall.conf[714]: ERROR:doreen script mountall.conf  

 

dogbytes
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
6,250 Views
Registered: ‎06-23-2013

For any of you who use microSD on your Zynq board and did not ground WP as in the microZed board,

you can change the Ubuntu SD driver and recompile uImage for your boot partition.

block.c mmc_blk_readonly(card){ return false;}

 

                      Then the line below will no longer have the suffix (ro)     and you proceed normally to login prompt.                                                                                                                                                                                      
mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 00000 14.6 GiB

dogbytes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
4,882 Views
Registered: ‎03-13-2012

@doreenyen wrote:

Suspect our custom board i102 did not run /etc/init/mountall.conf after it printed

hand off to new root                   Can anybody tell me where this "hand off to new root" message comes from ?


I assume you use the initramfs from http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Ubuntu+on+Zynq. The message comes from the init script in the initramfs and is printed just before 'switch_root' is executed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
4,869 Views
Registered: ‎06-23-2013

Hi Soren,   Our custom board is using the uramdisk.image.gz of the zc706

 

I have 2 hypotheses for why we are stuck at "Disconnected from Plymouth" and would appreciate comment if

either is the likely culprit for not getting to NTP daemon and sulogin.

 

1) One of the custom board changes is to use a microSD.  Our zc706 never output the (ro) for its full size SD.

 

mmcblk0: mmc0:21c7 SD16G 14.7 GiB (ro) 

 

2) I used the same u-boot.elf as for zc706

 

include/configs/zynq_common.h:236:        "bootm 0x3000000 0x2000000 0x2A00000\0" \


Does this have to change to
include/configs/zynq_common.h:236:        "bootm 0x3000000 - 0x2A00000\0" \

 

in order to utilize the devicetree entry,

    chosen {
        bootargs = "console=ttyPS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait ip=:::::eth0:dhcp earlyprintk";
        linux,stdout-path = "/amba@0/uart@E0001000";
    };

dogbytes
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
4,864 Views
Registered: ‎03-13-2012

@doreenyen wrote:

Hi Soren,   Our custom board is using the uramdisk.image.gz of the zc706


Which ramdisk from the zc706? The ramdisks we provide for TRDs and as release images do not switch root. They never print the 'handoff to new root message. You use some custom ramdisk, and I suspect the one I mentioned before. Also, plymouth is a SW that is present in the Ubuntu system but not in any of the busybox/petalinux based systems. And since the message you refer to matches exactly what I put in the Ubuntu system from the wiki, I suspect that is what you're running. For board bringup I'd recommend to step back a bit and try some simple ramdisk based system.




@doreenyen wrote:

 

I have 2 hypotheses for why we are stuck at "Disconnected from Plymouth" and would appreciate comment if

either is the likely culprit for not getting to NTP daemon and sulogin.

 

1) One of the custom board changes is to use a microSD.  Our zc706 never output the (ro) for its full size SD.

 

mmcblk0: mmc0:21c7 SD16G 14.7 GiB (ro) 


Yep that may be the cause of your problems, a read only file system might prevent you from booting. Try adding 'rw' to the kernel command line.

 



@doreenyen wrote:

2) I used the same u-boot.elf as for zc706

 

include/configs/zynq_common.h:236:        "bootm 0x3000000 0x2000000 0x2A00000\0" \


Does this have to change to
include/configs/zynq_common.h:236:        "bootm 0x3000000 - 0x2A00000\0" \

 

in order to utilize the devicetree entry,

    chosen {
        bootargs = "console=ttyPS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait ip=:::::eth0:dhcp earlyprintk";
        linux,stdout-path = "/amba@0/uart@E0001000";
    };


Whether the bootm command needs to change or not depends on your initramfs. If your initramfs does switch_root you need to specify the initramfs. If you want to boot w/o initramfs, you don't.
It might actually work if you change it the way you suggested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
4,848 Views
Registered: ‎06-23-2013

We got to a shell prompt on our custom board and definitely the root filesystem on microSD is readonly.

We're working on overcoming this, but if anybody has tips on  implementing microSD rw, thanks in advance.

 

General error mounting filesystems.                                                                                                        
A maintenance shell will now be started.                                                                                                   
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and reboot the system.                                                                                 
Give root password for maintenance                                                                                                         
(or type Control-D to continue):                                                                                                           
root@pb1i102:~#

 

dogbytes
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
6,251 Views
Registered: ‎06-23-2013

For any of you who use microSD on your Zynq board and did not ground WP as in the microZed board,

you can change the Ubuntu SD driver and recompile uImage for your boot partition.

block.c mmc_blk_readonly(card){ return false;}

 

                      Then the line below will no longer have the suffix (ro)     and you proceed normally to login prompt.                                                                                                                                                                                      
mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 00000 14.6 GiB

dogbytes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos