UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

how to get iperf3 into petalinux 2017.1

Jump to solution

How can i get iperf3 into my petalinux boot image? I cannot see iperf tools in petalinux-config -c rootfs. I want to perform iperf test on the ethernet port and i found following posts

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Adding+New+RPM+Packages+in+meta-petalinux

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Getting+Started+With+Yocto+using+Repo+to+build+RPM+Packages

to get the package into petalinux and I understood that i have to download state-cache file from this following link https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69074.html  for my petalinux 2017.1. Am I on the right way? what is this state cache? Are zynq extras already available in petalinux?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: how to get iperf3 into petalinux 2017.1

Jump to solution

you don't need to compile externally iperf3, as you already have it in petalinux. you can find the recipe in <your_petalinux_source_dir>/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-oe/recipes-benchmark/iperf3

1) in your <project_dir>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/images/petalinux-image.bbappend add the following line:

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " iperf3"  (be aware of the extra space)

2) in petalinux-config -c rootfs -> user packages, enable iperf3

and then build your image as usual

15 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey @jenny_august13,

That's probably a little trickier, as iperf3 comes with a library to install.

If all you want to do is a quick test, it's probably way simpler to build iperf3 from the sources (on the target).

And in case you are lazy (and trusting), I just built iperf3 as (almost) static binary so that should work for you.

No need to compile anything, just download it (on/to the target) and you should be fine.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Ohh that would be great if you can share the source,thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey @jenny_august13,

Sources are available on the IPerf site, here is what I did to compile it:

wget https://iperf.fr/download/source/iperf-3.1.3-source.tar.gz
tar xzf iperf-3.1.3-source.tar.gz
cd iperf-3.1.3
./configure
make

You'll get the binary in src/.libs/iperf3 and there is a wrapper you can immediately start under src/iperf3.

To build the static binary, I did the following:

cd src
gcc -O2 -static -o .libs/iperf3.static iperf3-main.o ./.libs/libiperf.a -lm

Hope this helps,

Herbert

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Yupp thankyou
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

You're welcome!

Best,

Herbert

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
`gcc -O2 -static -o .libs/iperf3.static iperf3-main.o ./.libs/libiperf.a -lm
./.libs/libiperf.a(iperf_tcp.o): In function `iperf_tcp_listen':
/home/janani/iperf-3.1.3/src/iperf_tcp.c:175: warning: Using 'getaddrinfo' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking`

When i try to compile, Iam getting the following warning message
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Ahh there is no ubuntu core running on my target board and i cannot download using wget commands. I guess i have to build the iperf3 into the boot image of petalinux. And then boot it along .
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

you don't need to compile externally iperf3, as you already have it in petalinux. you can find the recipe in <your_petalinux_source_dir>/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-oe/recipes-benchmark/iperf3

1) in your <project_dir>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/images/petalinux-image.bbappend add the following line:

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " iperf3"  (be aware of the extra space)

2) in petalinux-config -c rootfs -> user packages, enable iperf3

and then build your image as usual

Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

hey @jenny_august13,

When i try to compile, Iam getting the following warning message ...

This is expected, as modern glibc cannot build static binaries with name resolution.

That's why I call them pseudo static ... nevertheless they work fine on almost any modern system.

Sorry, that I forgot to mention that ...

But of course, if there is an available package/module for petalinux, that's the way to go.

Best,

Herbert

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
I have added the iperf3 from the recipies and now can i run the iperf3 server on my target board when linux boots on this? I have my iperf3 client running on my pc. Can i run iperf3 server for testing multi ethernet ports at a time? or should i run individually one after the other on my target board?
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey @jenny_august13,

I have added the iperf3 from the recipies and now ...

can i run the iperf3 server on my target board when linux boots on this?

I hope that you can now run iperf3, otherwise something went wrong :)

I have my iperf3 client running on my pc.

You can run iperf3 as client or server and it is suggested to use both for proper testing.

I.e. for one test the target board is the client, for the other test the server - it is simple to switch by an option to iperf3.

Can i run iperf3 server for testing multi ethernet ports at a time?

Depends on the setup. When you have separate connections for each of the iperf3 server-client connections, you can run them in parallel to test the aggregated performance, but when you share the same connection or switch for several client-server connections you will also share the bandwidth.

or should i run individually one after the other on my target board?

At least for an initial test I would suggest to always run one client and one server on an otherwise clean network.

Hope this clarifies,

Herbert

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I have my iperf3 in user packages in petalinux added into my image. now I have booted my board with the image.ub , now where can i find the iperf3 added? I couldnot find it in /usr/bin or bin or sbin.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Yupp, solved once i add recipie which are in petalinux-image had sstate locked. To unlock we have to add SIGGEN_UNLOCKED_RECIPIES += "my-recipe" in project-spec/meta-user/conf/petalinuxbsp.conf. Then we can find it under /usr/bin when linux is booted.
0 Kudos
Participant larshb
Participant

Jump to solution

My Petalinux-project has no components/yocto. Do I need to configure something to get those?

$ tree -d -L 2                                                                                                                  .                                                                                                                                                            ├── build                                                                                                                                                    │   ├── cache                                                                                                                                                │   ├── conf                                                                                                                                                 │   ├── downloads                                                                                                                                            │   ├── misc                                                                                                                                                 │   ├── sstate-cache                                                                                                                                         │   └── tmp                                                                                                                                                  ├── components                                                                                                                                               │   └── plnx_workspace                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ├── images                                                                                                                                                   │   └── linux                                                                                                                                                └── project-spec                                                                                                                                                        ├── configs                                                                                                                                                         ├── hw-description                                                                                                                                                    ├── meta-plnx-generated                                                                                                                                        └── meta-user                                                                                                                                            
0 Kudos
Participant larshb
Participant

Jump to solution

├── build
│   ├── cache
│   ├── conf
│   ├── downloads
│   ├── misc
│   ├── sstate-cache
│   └── tmp