UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

how to obtain elf file with gnu tool

Hello

I want to run the jpeg code on the  microblaze processor .

i find a message posted in this  forum says : to run an application with a kernel you have to use a cross compiler and not EDK.

For that i follow this link to have the gnu tool for the microblze.

After downloding and setting the path of the tool i use the command : "mb-linux-g++ timer.cpp jpgd.cpp jpge.cpp tga2jpg.cpp"

With this command i obtaon the file a.out.

how to obtain the file .elf?

Thnks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: how to obtain elf file with gnu tool

Hi,

Please run the command "mb-linux-objdump -a a.out".This will give you clear information on the file format.

Regards

Madhubala

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi

I run this command and i obtain this result: file format elf-32 microblze

But normally to van download the elf file to the xilinx board i must have .elf file  , IS this true

Thanks

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Your result shows that the obtain a.out is an elf file itself.you should be able to run this on the board.

You can start with simple example like hello_world program.If you are using multiple cpp files then better to have Makefile to do proper linking of all the cpp files.go through some tutorials on Makefiles to do so.

Regards

Madhubala

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

ok i will test a simple hello  exemple

but the jpeg is a multithread application and requires a kernel to be implemented.

have you a link or idea hiw to download my elf file with a kernel for the microblaze?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

We have a wiki page that gives good amount of details on microblaze linux.You can start with this.

http://xilinx.wikidot.com/microblaze-linux

Regards

Madhubala

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hello

i look for the link you send me.

The problem i find the configuration and the build of the linux and not include the build of the application .

i can't understand how to include the elf file of the application to test it with the linux on the processor

0 Kudos