Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
istitaki
Visitor
Visitor

hwrng, rng-tools -- failed to init entropy source, long boot-up time

Dear all,

I face an issue after building a RootFs using Petalinux 2020.1. I get the following messages and error during boot-up; what the main problem is, that it hangs at the error at least 30-40 seconds:

Starting random number generator daemon
Initializing available sources
Failed to init entropy source hwrng

I am sure, that it is caused by the rng-tools, whose init script is in init.d. However, I could not find it in the rootfs configuration to remove it and do not know what causes it to be installed. Is this a standard package and needed? I wonder why there is no post regarding it.

My goal would be to remove it (if it is possible), or solve somehow the 30-40s boot-up delay, which can be really annoying, when we are talking about an embedded system.

Thanks in advance for any help!

4 Replies
liuyz
Adventurer
Adventurer

hi @istitaki 

have you workout a solution for this?

I'm having this error as well, on v2020.2, but not much hangs during boot.

Thx

0 Kudos
istitaki
Visitor
Visitor

Dear @liuyz 

I am still working with Petalinux 2020.1. I solved it, by excluding "rng-tools" from the build process. I believe the urandom jumps in instead.

Now the boot does not hang and the 30-40s is gone. This was my solution.

I do not believe, that a Petalinux version can help in this case (I mean from 2020.1 to 2020.2). From what I read, the rng-tool requires much time for initialization. Maybe this is the reason of the 30-40 seconds.

Take care!

liuyz
Adventurer
Adventurer

thanks for the head up

0 Kudos
vishu26
Visitor
Visitor

@istitaki 

How do you exclude "rng-tools" from the build process? Do you mean at the time of building the kernel image?

Thanks and Regards

Vishav

0 Kudos