UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer aclark
Observer

imageon adv7604 (Zynq Video and Imaging kit)

Jump to solution

Hey guys, 

I see in some init scripts from some early TRDs (and the one that came with my Zynq ZC702) that there is reference to the adv7604 firmware file:

ADV7611_PATH=/mnt/adv7611

#Copy EDID firmware
if [ -f ${ADV7611_PATH}/adv7611_edid.bin ]
then
    mkdir -p /lib/firmware
    cp ${ADV7611_PATH}/adv7611_edid.bin /lib/firmware/
else
     echo "Warning : ADV7611 EDID missing"
fi

So, I have 'udev' functioning via a rootfs created with buildroot. V4L2 is enabled and I'm ready to access this camera. Sadly, I cannot find the EDID.bin file anywhere. I'm not even sure if it's commercial or opensource. 

Anyways, my zynq detects the camera but needs this file. Any clues would be much appreciated. I've spent days on this.

Thanks,

aclark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: imageon adv7604 (Zynq Video and Imaging kit)

Jump to solution

none of the code inside the file you mentioned is targeting the vita image sensor... it only supports the ADV7611 and even that is unused and untested at this point.

We're in the process of writing proper V4L2 drivers for most of our video IPs and the FMC-IMAGEON peripherals. The development will take some time and I don't know when the drivers will be available.

I'm afraid the only way to make this work right now is to dig through the XAPP794 code and extract the init sequence for the vita sensor.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Observer aclark
Observer

Jump to solution

Actually, I looked in the source, and if it cannot find a firmware file, then it loads the firmware data directly. So firmware isn't the issue I'm guessing. I do get this error:

imageon-rx imageon_rx.2: Failed to load firmware: -2
imageon-rx imageon_rx.2: Loading default EDID setting
i2c i2c-12: Invalid 7-bit I2C address 0x00
adv7604 12-004c: failed to create all i2c clients
adv7604: probe of 12-004c failed with error -12

No idea what it's really saying. I guess I don't have something in the pipeline/IP set. I'm lost. Any aid would be much appreciated.

-aclark

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The code that you are referring to is commented in the init.sh script with a note saying that the Imageon driver is not used in the current TRD version. All references to Imageon/ADV7611 driver should have been removed from init.sh, the dts and kernel config files to avoid confusion.

The ADV7611 is initialized and the EDID firmware programmed from inside the FSBL (see file fsbl_hooks.c). You should be able to use the HDMI input without having to change any of the provided files. May I ask what you are trying to do?

0 Kudos
Observer aclark
Observer

Jump to solution

ckohn,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the time. 

You are correct, the HDMI input works without an issue or extra configuration.

I'm attempting to get V4L2 to access the camera that is part of the zynq video and imaging kit. I'm not sure if there is any configuration to be done before this is possible. 

So, I've taken the 14.6 kernel branch, added V4L2 and imageon adv7xxx support. I can post my kernel config if it'll be helpful. I could not find any documents within DocNav to support what I this. However, I have seen various things around the web claiming this is possible. 

So, in the end, having a /dev/video0 interface to the ZVIK camera would be ideal.

(I apologize for my ignorance, this is my first step into embedded linux).

Thanks!

-aclark

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

aclark,

no need to apologize and welcome to the embedded linux world :)

when you say you want to access the camera, you are referring to the VITA image sensor, correct? This is a different interface as the HDMI input (ADV7611). I'm not aware of a V4L2 driver for this image sensor. There is an application note XAPP794 that demonstrates the image sensor. I assume the initialization is done inside the user-space application or the FSBL. I don't know the details of this design though.

0 Kudos
Observer aclark
Observer

Jump to solution

ckohn,

Thanks. This is pretty unfortunate news. I see many references to 'v4l_subdev' and 'v4l_dev' structures and functions within drivers/staging/video/imageon/imageon-rx-driver.c. Not sure if this has anything to do with what I'm looking for. 

I see Xilinx provides nice HLS supported OpenCV headers. The icing on the cake would to be able to use these nice features with the actual camera (VITA image sensor). 

I'll fiddle around with the 26k line XAPP794 and see if I can get the userspace interaction I need. Thanks! And any other information you can give is much appreciated. 

-aclark

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

none of the code inside the file you mentioned is targeting the vita image sensor... it only supports the ADV7611 and even that is unused and untested at this point.

We're in the process of writing proper V4L2 drivers for most of our video IPs and the FMC-IMAGEON peripherals. The development will take some time and I don't know when the drivers will be available.

I'm afraid the only way to make this work right now is to dig through the XAPP794 code and extract the init sequence for the vita sensor.

0 Kudos
Observer aclark
Observer

Jump to solution

ckohn,

Right. That's what I thought, I was getting mixed up between support for the FMC module and support for the sensor. Since I need access to this image data via OpenCV (and other userspace applications that use V4L2), I'll have to write my own driver. 

Thanks for quick responses. I'll mark this as solved and post a working driver here when I'm finished. (or maybe submit a github pull request or something). 

Thanks again,

aclark

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

We appreciate all contributions. We have some documentatoin and guidelines in the wiki  http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Create+and+Submit+a+Patch . For kernel stuff it's pretty much the usual kernel work flow etc. Please, no github pull requests.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Be aware that not only the sensor requires a V4L2 driver but also all the IP cores in the image processing pipeline thereafter.

0 Kudos
Observer aclark
Observer

Jump to solution

ckohn,

Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure how everything will pan out. I've spoken with Laurent Pinchart of the V4L community about the sensor and the driver and it all seems fairly promising. Hopefully I can report back soon of some progress.

sorenb,

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!

-aclark

0 Kudos