Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

kernel config file

Jump to solution

Hi!

I`m using Petalinux 2017.2 and wondering where to find kernel configuration file.  I know how to work with "petalinux-config -c kernel" but I want to get actual configuration file.  Currently I open /proc/config.gz on target, but I want this file on host before deploying to target.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
the .config is in

build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/4.9-xilinx-v2017.2+gitAUTOINC+5d029fdc25-r0/linux-plnx_arm-standard-build/

jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Highlighted

Hi,

You can find the defconfig & user_xx.cfg genarated file in this path:build/tmp/work/plnx_aarch64-xilinx-linux/linux-xlnx/4.9-xilinx-v2017.3+gitAUTOINC+f1b1e077d6-r0/  once the build finished.

When you run petalinux-config -c kernel

this will generate  configuration details here.

project-spec/meta-user/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx/user_xx.cfg

Please refer below  link for more details.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf

Thanks & regards

Aravind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

I do find defconfig and user_xx.cfg`s in build/tmp/work/plnx_aarch64-xilinx-linux/linux-xlnx/4.9-xilinx-v2017.3+gitAUTOINC+f1b1e077d6-r0/ but where is kernel configuration?  defconfig is not kernel configuration file

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
the .config is in

build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/4.9-xilinx-v2017.2+gitAUTOINC+5d029fdc25-r0/linux-plnx_arm-standard-build/

jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Thanks a lot!   Is there a way to force Petalinux copy .config to images/linux folder during petalinux-build process?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You could update the recipe to do this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Can you guide me how to do this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @mishuk,

you can add this part in a .bbappend file :

do_install_append () {

# Create destination folder
    #
    mkdir -p ${TOPDIR}/sav

# Save the kernel config
    #
    cp ${B}/.config ${TOPDIR}/sav/u-boot-xlnx.config
}

Cheers,

Trigger

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Thanks, it works!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi, @jrhtech.

The .config in the fold you mentioned is not the final one. I saw the content. It is for x86 after running petailnux-build. Could you help me to figure out the final .config for ARM(ZYNQ/MPSOC)?

Thanks

B/R

Jerry Yau

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I ran petalinux-config -c kernel in my petalinux project and did not see any user_xxx.cfg under

./project-spec/meta-user/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi!

You need to make some changes in kernel configuration during " petalinux-config -c", for instance add some drivers, to get user_xxx.cfg in ./project-spec/meta-user/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx/

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks Mishuk,

Selected some new driver in kernel menu, this created a user_xx.cfg under ./project-spec/meta-user/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

If i use the xilinx-zcu106-v2018.1-final.bsp to create a petalinux project i can find the recipes-kernel under the meta-user folder.

But if i use the template to create a petalinux project, I can't find the recipes-kernel under the meta-user folder. After I added some driver in petalinux-config -c kernel, there is no change.

what is the problem with my project?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

The recipes-kernel folder will not appear until you run "petalinux-config -c kernel", iirc

0 Kudos
Highlighted

With v2019.2 and external kernel source, seems that recipes-kernel folder is not generated. 

The process runned fine with 2017.4 but upgrading it to 2019.2 is not working. 

Another strange thing is that enabling external kernel source with a relative path, the same "path" is not usable for build and for config:

CONFIG_SUBSYSTEM_COMPONENT_LINUX__KERNEL_NAME_EXT_LOCAL_SRC_PATH="${TOPDIR}/../../linux-kernel"

runs for petalinux-build but for petalinux-config -c kernel I need to add an extra "../"

CONFIG_SUBSYSTEM_COMPONENT_LINUX__KERNEL_NAME_EXT_LOCAL_SRC_PATH="${TOPDIR}/../../../linux-kernel"

Am I missing something ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I haven't used 2019.2, but I know that in 2018.3 I needed to keep 2 separate copies of the kernel, one for Petalinux and one for SDK.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @lluis.gesa ,

Yes, from 2019.2 onward we have removed the recipes-kernel directory has removed.

Regarding the second query: Yes it is known issue and will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks & Regards,

Shubhangi

0 Kudos
Highlighted

So, if the recipes-kernel directory has been removed. How should be managed the kernel configurations differences ? Should it be managed by hand?

As a test, I've moved my old folder recipes-kernel from 2017.x project to  2019.2 project and seems that user kenel configuration file is used during kernel building.

Cheers,

Lluís

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @lluis.gesa,

Yes, you have to create manually and it is okay if you copied it from the older version.

Thanks & Regards,

Shubhangi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Shubhangi,

Can you please elaborate on how to manually bring the kernel config into the build using v2019.2+?  I don't have an older version of petalinux to begin with, but I'd like to ensure I can still apply my custom kernel settings without having to run "petalinux-config -c kernel" every time I create a copy of the petalinux project.  (or more importantly, a continuous integration/deploy pipeline can be used to provide automated tests using a clean nightly build from our repository).

What does the recipe look like to apply kernel settings to the project such that I can just run "petalinux-build" and all the kernel configs will be applied to the build?

Thanks,

Scott

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Scott,

Were you able to figure out how to store the kernel settings in the project?

--

Karol Krizka

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Yep, I'm interested too, and I guess we are not the only ones ! Seems pretty legitimate to version a kernel configuration to be able to use it as input to another build executed from another environment
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
For the right way to do with Petalinux 2019.2 at least, see my post :
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/where-can-I-find-kernel-config-files-config/td-p/855765
0 Kudos