Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ymor
Visitor
Visitor

petalinux 2019.2 ZCU106 - Create ELF Kernel Image

Hi

The Image and image.ub files are BIN type but I'm trying to create Image kernel which is ELF file, is it possible?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aravindb

HI @Ymor 

The kernel images (Image & image.ub ) are bootable images  & it will not be in elf format.

You can only see vmlinux in elf format but that cant be used for booting purpose. This file is needed when debugging kernel. In order to boot linux kernel, vmlinux image has to be transformed into different from based on processor type.

Why you need kernel image in ELF format? 

Thanks & regards

Aravind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Ymor
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @aravindb,

Thanks for your response.

I worked with the ZCU106 UltraScale+ eval board and was bringing up the petalinux 2019.2 images thanks to UG1144.

Now my goal is to bring up my own board with same images that used me for ZCU106 (image.ub / Image, rootfs, device tree), the only difference is the BOOT.BIN process. (Instead of BOOT.BIN we created a bootstrap which includes u-boot feathers and fsbl)

Why do I need ELF Image format?

I'm working with ICE Lauterbach for debugging and to loading the bootstrap.

STEP1: once I load the bootstrap into the RAM and run it - the fsbl and all initialization processes been made. At this point I can see prints on UART shell (I use PuTTy) which indicates that initialization successfully done.

STEP2: An Image should be load and run, so I've tried to load and run both: image.ub and Image in hope to see any prints - but with no successes, no any prints. so that's why I assumed an ELF file will help me debug..

Hope I was clear enough, Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos