UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor matturick1
Visitor

petalinux-build errors when building from remote (2018-3)

I am getting build errors when using petalinux-build with a remote linux kernel and remote u-boot. The error text is posted at the end, and the error log is attached.

Setup information:

• Xilinx Zc-706 evaluation board
  • petalinux version 2018-3
  • Vivado version 2018-3
  • Building on rhel-7.6 which is apparently not supported

While following UG1144 (v2018.2) Chapter 9 "Configuring Out-of-tree Build" I am selecting remote kernel and remote u-boot git URLs. The following are excerpts from the manual:

For example: To use https://github.com/torvalds/linux, enter
git://github.com/torvalds/linux.git;protocol=https

For example [U-Boot]:
git://github.com/u-boot/u-boot.git;protocol=https

For the linux-kernel, I selected tag "v4.13" (as well as a few others which also failed)

For u-boot, I selected tag "2018.03"

I always get the following output when running petalinux-build saying it can't find xilinx_zynq_defconfig. I observe there is indeed no file xilinx_zynq_defconfig in the linux kernel repo folder arch/arm/configs. This seems like it's pretty straightforward out of the manual but still getting this build error.

Am I missing something obvious?

Are those tags acceptable to use ? (I can be flexible with the version if it will build).

Where is xilinx_zynq_defconfig supposed to be sourced from? 

[user_m@server_x x3]$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description=project_5.sdk
INFO: Getting hardware description...
INFO: Rename design_1_wrapper.hdf to system.hdf
[INFO] generating Kconfig for project
[INFO] menuconfig project

*** End of the configuration.
*** Execute 'make' to start the build or try 'make help'.

[INFO] sourcing bitbake
[INFO] generating plnxtool conf
[INFO] generating meta-plnx-generated layer
[INFO] generating machine configuration
[INFO] generating bbappends for project . This may take time !
[INFO] generating u-boot configuration files
[INFO] generating kernel configuration files
[INFO] generating kconfig for Rootfs
[INFO] oldconfig rootfs
[INFO] generating petalinux-user-image.bb
[user_m@server_x x3]$ petalinux-build
[INFO] building project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
INFO: bitbake petalinux-user-image
WARNING: Host distribution "rhel-7.6" has not been validated with this version of t; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use aution.
Parsing recipes: 100% |############################################################
Parsing of 2569 .bb files complete (0 cached, 2569 parsed). 3445 targets, 149 skipp errors.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
Initialising tasks: 100% |#########################################################
Checking sstate mirror object availability: 100% |#################################
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
ERROR: linux-xlnx-4.14-xilinx-v2018.3+gitAUTOINC+bebc6082da-r0 do_kernel_metadata: A KBUILD_DEFCONFIG 'xilinx_zynq_defconfig' was specified, but not present in the source tree
ERROR: linux-xlnx-4.14-xilinx-v2018.3+gitAUTOINC+bebc6082da-r0 do_kernel_metadata: Function failed: do_kernel_metadata (log file is located at /home/user_m/xilinx_stuff/petalinux_v3/x3/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynq7-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/4.14-xilinx-v2018.3+gitAUTOINC+bebc6082da-r0/temp/log.do_kernel_metadata.27259)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/user_m/xilinx_stuff/petalinux_v3/x3/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynq7-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/4.14-xilinx-v2018.3+gitAUTOINC+bebc6082da-r0/temp/log.do_kernel_metadata.27259
ERROR: Task (/home/user_m/xilinx_stuff/2018.3/petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx_2018.3.bb:do_kernel_metadata) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 2991 tasks of which 2242 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
/home/user_m/xilinx_stuff/2018.3/petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx_2018.3.bb:do_kernel_metadata
Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.
Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
ERROR: Failed to build project

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Observer elhvt
Observer

Re: petalinux-build errors when building from remote (2018-3)

Hi,

Did you manage to fix this error?

If so, could you please post it?

I have another thread related to this issue in:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Petalinux-with-external-Linux-Distribution/td-p/1040872

Thanks

0 Kudos