cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

petalinux-build errors when building from remote (2018-3)

I am getting build errors when using petalinux-build with a remote linux kernel and remote u-boot. The error text is posted at the end, and the error log is attached.

Setup information:

• Xilinx Zc-706 evaluation board
  • petalinux version 2018-3
  • Vivado version 2018-3
  • Building on rhel-7.6 which is apparently not supported

While following UG1144 (v2018.2) Chapter 9 "Configuring Out-of-tree Build" I am selecting remote kernel and remote u-boot git URLs. The following are excerpts from the manual:

For example: To use https://github.com/torvalds/linux, enter
git://github.com/torvalds/linux.git;protocol=https

For example [U-Boot]:
git://github.com/u-boot/u-boot.git;protocol=https

For the linux-kernel, I selected tag "v4.13" (as well as a few others which also failed)

For u-boot, I selected tag "2018.03"

I always get the following output when running petalinux-build saying it can't find xilinx_zynq_defconfig. I observe there is indeed no file xilinx_zynq_defconfig in the linux kernel repo folder arch/arm/configs. This seems like it's pretty straightforward out of the manual but still getting this build error.

Am I missing something obvious?

Are those tags acceptable to use ? (I can be flexible with the version if it will build).

Where is xilinx_zynq_defconfig supposed to be sourced from? 

[user_m@server_x x3]$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description=project_5.sdk
INFO: Getting hardware description...
INFO: Rename design_1_wrapper.hdf to system.hdf
[INFO] generating Kconfig for project
[INFO] menuconfig project

*** End of the configuration.
*** Execute 'make' to start the build or try 'make help'.

[INFO] sourcing bitbake
[INFO] generating plnxtool conf
[INFO] generating meta-plnx-generated layer
[INFO] generating machine configuration
[INFO] generating bbappends for project . This may take time !
[INFO] generating u-boot configuration files
[INFO] generating kernel configuration files
[INFO] generating kconfig for Rootfs
[INFO] oldconfig rootfs
[INFO] generating petalinux-user-image.bb
[user_m@server_x x3]$ petalinux-build
[INFO] building project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
INFO: bitbake petalinux-user-image
WARNING: Host distribution "rhel-7.6" has not been validated with this version of t; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use aution.
Parsing recipes: 100% |############################################################
Parsing of 2569 .bb files complete (0 cached, 2569 parsed). 3445 targets, 149 skipp errors.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
Initialising tasks: 100% |#########################################################
Checking sstate mirror object availability: 100% |#################################
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
ERROR: linux-xlnx-4.14-xilinx-v2018.3+gitAUTOINC+bebc6082da-r0 do_kernel_metadata: A KBUILD_DEFCONFIG 'xilinx_zynq_defconfig' was specified, but not present in the source tree
ERROR: linux-xlnx-4.14-xilinx-v2018.3+gitAUTOINC+bebc6082da-r0 do_kernel_metadata: Function failed: do_kernel_metadata (log file is located at /home/user_m/xilinx_stuff/petalinux_v3/x3/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynq7-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/4.14-xilinx-v2018.3+gitAUTOINC+bebc6082da-r0/temp/log.do_kernel_metadata.27259)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/user_m/xilinx_stuff/petalinux_v3/x3/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynq7-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/4.14-xilinx-v2018.3+gitAUTOINC+bebc6082da-r0/temp/log.do_kernel_metadata.27259
ERROR: Task (/home/user_m/xilinx_stuff/2018.3/petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx_2018.3.bb:do_kernel_metadata) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 2991 tasks of which 2242 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
/home/user_m/xilinx_stuff/2018.3/petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx_2018.3.bb:do_kernel_metadata
Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.
Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
ERROR: Failed to build project

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi,

Did you manage to fix this error?

If so, could you please post it?

I have another thread related to this issue in:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Petalinux-with-external-Linux-Distribution/td-p/1040872

Thanks

0 Kudos