UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

petalinux-config -c kernel doesn't wait for menuconfig to terminate

Jump to solution

I'm having a problem running petalinux-config -c kernel. Basically, the menuconfig opens successfully in a separate MATE terminal window, but the underlying bitbake process doesn't wait for the menuconfig to complete before going on to perform the do_diffconfig task that updates my kernel recipe in meta-user. This means that any changes I make to the kernel configuration in the menu are lost.

Another data point - I tried running petalinux-config -c kernel from one of the virtual consoles (navigated there with Ctrl+Alt+F1) and it completed successfully. So, a) I *know* my PetaLinux installation can/does work as expected, and b) I have a workaraound, but I'd *really* like for this to work within my GUI environment!

I saved & diffed the config logs from the MATE terminal and virtual console sessions, and the only difference was these two lines, indicating that do_diffconfig has found the config changes I made to the kernel.

linux-xlnx-4.9-xilinx-v2017.3+gitAUTOINC+f1b1e077d6-r0 do_diffconfig: Config fragment has been dumped into:
 /home/stu/Desktop/test/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/4.9-xilinx-v2017.3+gitAUTOINC+f1b1e077d6-r0/fragment.cfg

So - any suggestions/thoughts about what I could do to fix this?

Configuration:

PetaLinux 2017.3

Ubuntu 16.04 with MATE desktop (running as a VM under VirtualBox 5.1.30 on Windows 10)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: petalinux-config -c kernel doesn't wait for menuconfig to terminate

Jump to solution

I think I have a fix... Seems that MATE terminal does something that bitbake doesn't like. Using a different terminal type (either by setting the default terminal to Gnome or xterm or adding a variable setting OE_TERMINAL="xterm" or OE_TERMINAL="screen" in the file <project-root>/build/conf/local.conf) seems to fix this issue.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Re: petalinux-config -c kernel doesn't wait for menuconfig to terminate

Jump to solution

I think I have a fix... Seems that MATE terminal does something that bitbake doesn't like. Using a different terminal type (either by setting the default terminal to Gnome or xterm or adding a variable setting OE_TERMINAL="xterm" or OE_TERMINAL="screen" in the file <project-root>/build/conf/local.conf) seems to fix this issue.

View solution in original post