UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

petalinux-config in 2014.2 does not run correctly.

Highlighted
Visitor

Re: petalinux-config in 2014.2 does not run correctly.

Never mind... Mint 17 uses dash which fails the version test as being an illegal option to pass (--version).
Visitor

Right - either redirect it or:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash

That will also let you flip between dash or bash and coupled with the older grep resolved my problems.

Visitor

eengie wrote:

Right - either redirect it or:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash

That will also let you flip between dash or bash and coupled with the older grep resolved my problems.

Same to me! Though, I had already set bash instead of bash. But building grep 2.6.3 and adding it to path - helped me!

Visitor

Thanks a lot Gilles! Installing the grep did the trick. Working on VM with centos is a bit of a pain.

Hi Gilles,

It worked for me on my Debian 7.

Thank you for the trick.

Robert

Visitor

Note that the Petalinux developers are aware of the problem with grep on Ubuntu, and this will be fixed in the next version.

In the meantime, use the workaround of installing grep 2.6.3

Observer

I made the mistake of attempting to use the stock binaries from grep-2.6.3-6.el6.x86_64.rpm, but failed miserably for the obvious reason is that my machine is a fedora 18.

Must be tired, so why I thought downloading grep-2.6.3 source and building it would not work, I don't know. But I downloaded grep-2.6.3-4.el6_5.1src.rpm.

rpm2cpio'd it. tar xpvf'd the source tar.xz. configured/make, and copied grep/egrep/fgrep to /opt/pkg/petalinux-v2014.2-fintal/tools/common/petalinux/bin.

petalinux-config runs without complaint.

Xilinx Employee

All, we confirmed with engineering that using an older version of grep is a sufficient and robust workaround for this.  I have just put the finishing touches on a new Answer Record that is in the queue for publication.

Here are some steps for building grep from source if you're in a situation where you cannot get an older one from a package manager.  I have confirmed that this fix the problem on RHEL/CentOS 7 machines as well as Ubuntu 14.xx.

1.Download and extract the source code for grep 2.6.3 from the following GNU download site: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.6.3.tar.gz

2.Ensure that gcc is installed and available in the $PATH.

3.cd into the directory where grep-2.6.3.tar.gz was extracted (normally grep-2.6.3)

4.Configure grep for your system by using the ./configure command

5.After configuring, build grep using make command

6.After the build is complete, the grep binary will be available in <EXTRACTION_PATH>/src.

7.Source the PetaLinux 2014.2 tools using the source <PETALINUX_INSTALL_PATH/settings.(c)sh script

8.Manually update the path command to reference the version of grep that was just compiled:
a) For BASH, use export PATH=<EXTRACTION_PATH>/src:${PATH}
b) For CSH, use setenv PATH <EXTRACTION_PATH>/src:${PATH}

9.Verify that the path was updated and correctly picks up the desired version of grep with the command which grep.  It should echo back <EXTRACTION_PATH>/src

10.Continue to use the PetaLinux tools as normal.

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank

Hi,

As I recently have to build petalinux 2014.2 on Ubuntu 12.10 for zynq, this thread has help me a lot. But I still run into problem with petalinux-build. I don't remember this problem was reported in this thread and someone mention that they have success with Ubuntu 14.x. I am wondering anyone has had similar build problem and know how to deal with it. I would have just upgrade to 14.2 except that I got a warning that my PC's video hardware does not support 14.2's UTS and the performance will be very low and recommended that I don't upgrade.

[ERROR] Errors were encountered while processing:
[ERROR] E: Sub-process /home/ubuntu/petalinux-v2014.2-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
[ERROR] make[2]: *** [.pkg_stagefs] Error 255
[ERROR] make[1]: *** [sub_build_component_/none/packages-repo/single/plnx-repo] Error 2
ERROR: Failed to build linux

thank you

Chuck

Visitor

chuckchiang wrote:

Hi,

As I recently have to build petalinux 2014.2 on Ubuntu 12.10 for zynq, this thread has help me a lot. But I still run into problem with petalinux-build. I don't remember this problem was reported in this thread and someone mention that they have success with Ubuntu 14.x. I am wondering anyone has had similar build problem and know how to deal with it. I would have just upgrade to 14.2 except that I got a warning that my PC's video hardware does not support 14.2's UTS and the performance will be very low and recommended that I don't upgrade.

[ERROR] Errors were encountered while processing:
[ERROR] E: Sub-process /home/ubuntu/petalinux-v2014.2-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
[ERROR] make[2]: *** [.pkg_stagefs] Error 255
[ERROR] make[1]: *** [sub_build_component_/none/packages-repo/single/plnx-repo] Error 2
ERROR: Failed to build linux

thank you

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

The error you're seeing seems to be pretty common during the petalinux-build process for Ubuntu 12.xx as described a few pages back in this thread.  The work-around, as absurd as it is, is to clean the rootfs and rebuild:

petalinux-build -c rootfs

petalinux-build

For whatever reason, that seems to nudge the build in the right direction with 2014.2 on Ubuntu-based systems.  

However I will say that some packages selected in the petalinux-config -c rootfs have caused my own builds to fail consistently with 2014.2.  I haven't been able to figure exactly which ones are causing that state, but in those cases I have had to start over completely with a petalinux-build -x mrproper (if I recall correctly, use --help; it's one of the last examples).  So be aware that if you modified your rootfs configuration, you could also be seeing this same error message because a selected package failed.