UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

petalinux-config in 2014.2 does not run correctly.

Xilinx Employee

Re: petalinux-config in 2014.2 does not run correctly.

Our engineering staff are aware of this so if their is a straightforward fix, it will be published as an AR.

Also, we are currently investigating supporting additional OS's -- namely Ubuntu and CentOS -- for an upcoming release of PetaLinux.

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
Observer

Thanks for the info.  Sounds promising.

Visitor

To me, it's matter of fixing sed script; can you change separator of sed script something other than '/', so that / character in path be not collided with separator of sed script?

Though I've downgraded the whole toolset and cannot test this, maybe create sed wrapper doing this might work around this problem.

Visitor

I've installed a CentOS 6.5 (equivalent to RedHat 6.5 but free) in a virtual machine (under virtualbox) and it's working:
https://centos.org/download/

But it's not a satisfying solution for me as it complicates a lot the developpement.

Message to the xilinx managers/decision-makers :

We are in 2014 and you can't always say "use a supported OS". We can't buy a workstation only for xilinx Tools.

If you are not able to correctly support your tools under very common OS like Ubuntu, please open your source-code. All developpers will be happy to help Xilinx to improve the developpement flow (instead to be at a standstill !!).

Petalinux is a 1% closed source tool above 99% of open source components. This situation is ridiculous.

'petalinux-config' in 2014.2 does not run correctly after installed under OpenSUSE 13.1 64-bit. Same sed unknown option issue.

Do I have to use the OpenSUSE Enterprise 11 for version 2014.2 to work?

Visitor

Have same errors! Please, fix it or release 2014.5 ASAP!

Visitor

This seem to indicate that the result of a grep is passed to sed (grep sometimes prefixes the matched lines with the file name). And indeed compiling the same version of grep as Centos 6 (grep 2.6.3) and installing it in a directory added to the PATH before running petalinux-config seem to do the trick.

Visitor

Gilles,

That note about grep managed to get me slightly farther on Mint 17.

Having downloaded grep 2.6.3 tarball, I configured it to use the ./tools/common/petalinux path as its installation directory (./configure --prefix=<path>).  That way the petalinux settings.sh script would automatically configure the path to use the "right" grep.  However, now I get the following error as petalinux-configure exits:

/bin/sh: 1: pushd: not found

/bin/sh: 1: popd: not found

make: *** [post-config-auto-config] Error 127

ERROR: Failed to post config linux

ERROR: Failed to config component linux

Did you have to do anything else to have grep resolve the problem?  Reinstall the petalinux tools or something along those lines?

Visitor

Actually, it looks like the petalinux scripts/tools are somehow electing to use /bin/sh rather than /bin/bash. When I run settings.sh, it warns me that I'm not using bash (incorrect, I am using bash). So there seems to be something goofed up there.

Does anyone have an idea how to convince petalinux to use /bin/bash?

Just chage /bin/sh to point to /bin/bash. Something like this

sudo rm /bin/sh
sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh