Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
huzaifasajids
Visitor
Visitor

petalinux error: failed to generate Kconfig.syshw

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I'm new to forums and new to Linux, so please help me out like I'm a child who knows nothing.

I have Ubuntu 18.10 installed on a virtual machine on windows 10.
I have installed Vivado 18.1 and Petalinux 18.1 on it.

The petalinux installation was smooth and gave no error after I installed all the required packages.

I downloaded the BSP for zedboard v 2018.1 for it.

Creating project gives no errors.

Building the project gave a few errors about locale and I used a workaround for it by replacing some lines of code in all the locale.py files in the installation directory as well as the project directory. (saw this in another forum)

The projects started to build just fine and I was able to boot petalinux on zedboard.

Recently, I started to work on the UIO framework and I was tweaking around with the petalinux-config to enable it. I was not being able to differentiate between the files that were present before the configuration changes and which were created afterwards. So I ran

petalinux-build -x mrproper

to clean up the project and start from scratch. After this, an error starting to pop up on every petalinux command except petalinux-create. The error said this:

osboxes@huzaifa:~/projects.petalinux/huzzi$ petalinux-build
[INFO] building project
[INFO] generating Kconfig for project

ERROR: Failed to generate /home/osboxes/projects.petalinux/huzzi/build/misc/config/Kconfig.syshw
ERROR: Failed to Kconfig project
ERROR: Failed to build project

Build log file is attached for reference.

I have read various forums and tried many solutions to this but have not found anything useful.

The solutions I have tried so far are as follows:

1--> followed this forum: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/petalinux-build-ERROR-Failed-to-generate-Kconfig-syshw/td-p/812430

2--> installed xterm, rlwrap etc

3--> tried this workaround: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Petalinux-2017-4-petalinux-config-get-hw-description-fails-on/td-p/831135 this gives the same error with a different log file. (attached build2.log)

4--> deleted and recreated the project

5--> deleted and reinstalled petalinux

Most of the people who are facing this issue are having this at the very beginning of working with petalinux(installation phase). The reason for giving this history was to show that petalinux was working just fine with this system and has only now started to malfunction. By doing step 4 and 5, I deduced I have done something wrong with my ubuntu rather than petalinux but I cannot recall making any change. 

I'm really frustrated with this. The only option I am seeing right now is to delete this instance of VMware and reinstall ubuntu and everything (vivado etc) on it. But I really don't want to do that. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
huzaifasajids
Visitor
Visitor

I was not able to remove the error and therefore decided to downgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS because in some forums I read that Petalinux does not support any Ubuntu release after that.

This solved the problem and Petalinux is working just fine now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
huzaifasajids
Visitor
Visitor

I was not able to remove the error and therefore decided to downgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS because in some forums I read that Petalinux does not support any Ubuntu release after that.

This solved the problem and Petalinux is working just fine now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
manish3134

Just resolve the similar type of issue on 2018.2.

Issue

home/rrh_user/RRH_2018_R2/projects/testPeta/build/misc/config/Kconfig:223: can't open file "/home/rrh_user/RRH_2018_R2/projects/testPeta/build/misc/config/home/rrh_user/RRH_2018_R2/projects/testPeta/build/misc/config/Kconfig.syshw"

Resolution

Kindly source the right the path of <your-project-path>build/misc/config/Kconfig.syshw in "build/misc/config/Kconfig.part".

Now, I am able to see menuconfig screen.

Regards,

Manish

0 Kudos
joychauhan43
Observer
Observer

Hello,

Installed Petalinux In my linux PC

Ubuntu Version : 18.04

Petalinux Version : 2019.2

For Create new project :

joy@joy: /media/joy/joy/petalinux_2_4$ petalinux-create -t project -n joy_partial --template zynqMP

INFO: Create project: joy_partial
INFO: New project successfully created in /media/joy/joy/petalinux_2_4/joy_partial

Issue : While Running petalinux-config command on terminal failed to generate Kconfig.syshw.

joy@joy: /media/joy/joy/petalinux_2_4/joy_partial$ petalinux-config
[INFO] generating Kconfig for project
ERROR: Failed to generate /media/joy/joy/petalinux_2_4/joy_partial/build/misc/config/Kconfig.syshw
ERROR: Failed to Kconfig project
ERROR: Failed to config project.

Please give me solution ASAP!!

0 Kudos
smahalle
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @joychauhan43,

Please share the complete config log file.

You need to give a path to the XSA file while configuring a project from the steps you have followed it seems that you missed it.

please follow the below steps to create a project:

1-  petalinux-create --type project --template zynqMP --name <name_of_project>

2- petalinux-config --get-hw-description= <path_to_xsa>

3-petalinux-build

Regards,

Shubhangi

0 Kudos
rappysaha
Adventurer
Adventurer

Config.log  indicates the solution related to the step 3. 

in my case, step 3 works perfectly. just go for step 3 skip 1 and 2.

0 Kudos
GregB
Visitor
Visitor

I had this error and found another cause:  the "petalinux-config --get-hw-description" function needs two packages in the development host that are not listed in the required dependencies in the release notes (at least for petalinux 2020.1).:  rsync and cpio.

These two would normally be included by default in most distros, but if you are working in a minimal build environment (in my case, a Docker image based on Ubuntu bionic) you may need to add them along with the other build dependencies listed in the Excel sheet.

0 Kudos