UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

petalinux make error

Participant

petalinux make error

Hi,

Here is the output of my petalinux-build -v that has an error. I'm on a VBox Ubuntu 14.04 64bit client and Vivado 2014.4

Can anyone tell me whay this happens and what i can do to fix it?

/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux$ petalinux-build
INFO: Checking component...
INFO: Generating make files and build linux
INFO: Generating make files for the subcomponents of linux
WARNING: /opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux/kernel/download/linux-xlnx already exists.
WARNING: Not fetching from remote url!
WARNING: If you want to get a fresh copy, please run 'petalinux-build -c <COMPONENT> -x mrproper'
INFO: Building linux
[ERROR] make: *** linux-kernel: No such file or directory.  Stop.
ERROR: Failed to build linux
gsanson@gsanson:/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux$ petalinux-build -x mproper
WARNING: /opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux/kernel/download/linux-xlnx already exists.
WARNING: If you want to get a fresh copy, please run 'petalinux-build -c <COMPONENT> -x mrproper'
gsanson@gsanson:/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux$ petalinux-build -v
[ALL  ] make: Entering directory `/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux'
[ALL  ] if [ ! -z "none" ] && [ ! "none" == "none" ]; then         sinstance=none;         sbuild=none;     elif [ "single" == "multi" ]; then         sinstance=device-tree-generator;         sbuild=device-tree/device-tree-generator;     else         sinstance=device-tree;         sbuild=device-tree;     fi;     make INSTANCE=linux/${sinstance} -C ${sbuild} pre-build
[ALL  ] /bin/sh: 1: [: none: unexpected operator
[ALL  ] /bin/sh: 4: [: single: unexpected operator
[ALL  ] /bin/sh: 1: arithmetic expression: expecting primary: ""
[ALL  ] make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux/device-tree'
[ALL  ] make[1]: Nothing to be done for `pre-build'.
[ALL  ] make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux/device-tree'
[ALL  ] if [ ! -z "kernel" ] && [ ! "kernel" == "none" ]; then         sinstance=kernel;         sbuild=kernel;     elif [ "single" == "multi" ]; then         sinstance=remote;         sbuild=linux-kernel/remote;     else         sinstance=linux-kernel;         sbuild=linux-kernel;     fi;     make INSTANCE=linux/${sinstance} -C ${sbuild} pre-build
[ALL  ] /bin/sh: 1: [: kernel: unexpected operator
[ALL  ] /bin/sh: 4: [: single: unexpected operator
[ALL  ] make: Entering an unknown directory
[ERROR] make: *** linux-kernel: No such file or directory.  Stop.
[ALL  ] make: Leaving an unknown directory
[ALL  ] make: *** [sub_pre-build_component_/kernel/linux-kernel/single/remote] Error 2
[ALL  ] make: Leaving directory `/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux'

Xilinx Employee

Re: petalinux make error

@gsanson

This looks like a known issue and seen with Ubuntu Distribution.

Please refer to the Answer Record and try the details suggested.This should solve the issue.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63033.html

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Participant

Re: petalinux make error

I finally got the build to work

• I had to re-install Ubuntu
  • Re-install Vivado and HLS and the SDK
  • Re-install PetaLinux
  • installed build-essential using apt-get
  • Install all the libraries UG1144 (that could actually be installed - some don't or are "up to date")
  • made sure bash was the shell
  • Installed libselinux1:i386 using apt-get
  • Payed real close attention to drive space usage
  • Payed real close attention to permissions on files and directories

This should be susinctly documented so that others won't have to go through all the headaches i went through.

I hope this helps at least a little.

-Gary