Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsanson
Participant
Participant

petalinux make error

Hi,

Here is the output of my petalinux-build -v that has an error. I'm on a VBox Ubuntu 14.04 64bit client and Vivado 2014.4

Can anyone tell me whay this happens and what i can do to fix it?

/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux$ petalinux-build
INFO: Checking component...
INFO: Generating make files and build linux
INFO: Generating make files for the subcomponents of linux
WARNING: /opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux/kernel/download/linux-xlnx already exists.
WARNING: Not fetching from remote url!
WARNING: If you want to get a fresh copy, please run 'petalinux-build -c <COMPONENT> -x mrproper'
INFO: Building linux
[ERROR] make: *** linux-kernel: No such file or directory.  Stop.
ERROR: Failed to build linux
gsanson@gsanson:/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux$ petalinux-build -x mproper
WARNING: /opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux/kernel/download/linux-xlnx already exists.
WARNING: If you want to get a fresh copy, please run 'petalinux-build -c <COMPONENT> -x mrproper'
gsanson@gsanson:/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux$ petalinux-build -v
[ALL  ] make: Entering directory `/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux'
[ALL  ] if [ ! -z "none" ] && [ ! "none" == "none" ]; then         sinstance=none;         sbuild=none;     elif [ "single" == "multi" ]; then         sinstance=device-tree-generator;         sbuild=device-tree/device-tree-generator;     else         sinstance=device-tree;         sbuild=device-tree;     fi;     make INSTANCE=linux/${sinstance} -C ${sbuild} pre-build
[ALL  ] /bin/sh: 1: [: none: unexpected operator
[ALL  ] /bin/sh: 4: [: single: unexpected operator
[ALL  ] /bin/sh: 1: arithmetic expression: expecting primary: ""
[ALL  ] make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux/device-tree'
[ALL  ] make[1]: Nothing to be done for `pre-build'.
[ALL  ] make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux/device-tree'
[ALL  ] if [ ! -z "kernel" ] && [ ! "kernel" == "none" ]; then         sinstance=kernel;         sbuild=kernel;     elif [ "single" == "multi" ]; then         sinstance=remote;         sbuild=linux-kernel/remote;     else         sinstance=linux-kernel;         sbuild=linux-kernel;     fi;     make INSTANCE=linux/${sinstance} -C ${sbuild} pre-build
[ALL  ] /bin/sh: 1: [: kernel: unexpected operator
[ALL  ] /bin/sh: 4: [: single: unexpected operator
[ALL  ] make: Entering an unknown directory
[ERROR] make: *** linux-kernel: No such file or directory.  Stop.
[ALL  ] make: Leaving an unknown directory
[ALL  ] make: *** [sub_pre-build_component_/kernel/linux-kernel/single/remote] Error 2
[ALL  ] make: Leaving directory `/opt/rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2014-4/software/petalinux/build/linux'

0 Kudos
2 Replies
achutha
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@gsanson

This looks like a known issue and seen with Ubuntu Distribution.

Please refer to the Answer Record and try the details suggested.This should solve the issue.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63033.html

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gsanson
Participant
Participant

I finally got the build to work

• I had to re-install Ubuntu
  • Re-install Vivado and HLS and the SDK
  • Re-install PetaLinux
  • installed build-essential using apt-get
  • Install all the libraries UG1144 (that could actually be installed - some don't or are "up to date")
  • made sure bash was the shell
  • Installed libselinux1:i386 using apt-get
  • Payed real close attention to drive space usage
  • Payed real close attention to permissions on files and directories

This should be susinctly documented so that others won't have to go through all the headaches i went through.

I hope this helps at least a little.

-Gary