UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor david_2018
Visitor

qemu booting kernel failed 2017.4

Jump to solution

Hi,

I followed the page and test "Using SD for Boot".

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Xilinx+QEMU+Kernel+boot

However, I got stuck while running ARM instance as below, could you please help me out? thanks.

I did against pre_built images 2017.4. and using "petalinux_2017_4/tools/linux-i386/petalinux/bin/qemu-system-aarch64" and "/petalinux_2017_4/tools/linux-i386/petalinux/bin/qemu-system-microblazeel".

qemu-arm-instance.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: qemu booting kernel failed 2017.4

Jump to solution

Hi David

I have tried myself again at our end and is booting fine. Here are the steps followed:-

1. Create BOOT.BIN using petalinux-package command (make sure to have attached FSBL passed to this command while creating BOOT.BIN)

petalinux-package --boot --fsbl zynqmp_fsbl.elf --pmufw pre-built/linux/images/pmufw.elf --atf pre-built/linux/images/bl31.elf --u-boot pre-built/linux/images/u-boot.elf

2. dd if=/dev/zero of=qemu_sd.img bs=128M count=1
3. mkfs.vfat -F 32 qemu_sd.img
4. mcopy -i qemu_sd.img BOOT.BIN ::/
5. mcopy -i qemu_sd.img pre-built/linux/images/image.ub ::/
6. mcopy -i qemu_sd.img pre-built/linux/images/system.dtb ::/

This creates final qemu_sd.img and used the same ARM & PMU instances to launch QEMU boot.

Attached FSBL for your reference. If you want, I will share qemu_sd.img too, but since this is of approx.120M I cant share it through forum or email.

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Visitor david_2018
Visitor

Jump to solution
BTW, I am working on Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi

Could you please share the command-line that you have passed in ARM instance? Did you try with the attached FSBL of wiki ?

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
Visitor david_2018
Visitor

Jump to solution

Yes. I am using the attached FSBL.elf

ARM instance:

/petalinux_2017_4/tools/linux-i386/petalinux/bin/qemu-system-aarch64 -M arm-generic-fdt -nographic -dtb ./pre-built/linux/images/zynqmp-qemu-multiarch-arm.dtb -device loader,file=./pre-built/linux/images/zynqmp_fsbl.elf,cpu-num=0 -global xlnx,zynqmp-boot.cpu-num=0 -global xlnx,zynqmp-boot.use-pmufw=false -machine-path /tmp/ -gdb tcp::9001 -drive file=./pre-built/linux/images/qemu_sd.img,if=sd,format=raw,index=1 -boot mode=5 -m 4G

PMU instance:

petalinux_2017_4/tools/linux-i386/petalinux/bin/qemu-system-microblazeel -M microblaze-fdt -nographic -dtb ./pre-built/linux/images/zynqmp-qemu-multiarch-pmu.dtb -kernel ./pre-built/linux/images/pmu_rom_qemu_sha3.elf -device loader,file=./pre-built/linux/images/pmufw.elf -machine-path /tmp/ -gdb tcp::9005

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi 

Try passing the attached FSBL instead of prebuilt FSBL, as I am seeing in the below instance you are passing prebuilt fsbl image

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
Visitor david_2018
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi ,

I have already downloaded and replaced the prebuilt one.  The size is 164944 bytes.

Are you from Xilinx? Could you please try on your side? Thanks.

"Here are the steps to boot the Xilinx's ZynqMP based kernel through QEMU supported flash devices. These steps are validated against 2017.4 release version."

I trusted what you said above in that page. It would be better not to make us disappointed. Look forward to hearing from you.

David

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi David

I have tried myself again at our end and is booting fine. Here are the steps followed:-

1. Create BOOT.BIN using petalinux-package command (make sure to have attached FSBL passed to this command while creating BOOT.BIN)

petalinux-package --boot --fsbl zynqmp_fsbl.elf --pmufw pre-built/linux/images/pmufw.elf --atf pre-built/linux/images/bl31.elf --u-boot pre-built/linux/images/u-boot.elf

2. dd if=/dev/zero of=qemu_sd.img bs=128M count=1
3. mkfs.vfat -F 32 qemu_sd.img
4. mcopy -i qemu_sd.img BOOT.BIN ::/
5. mcopy -i qemu_sd.img pre-built/linux/images/image.ub ::/
6. mcopy -i qemu_sd.img pre-built/linux/images/system.dtb ::/

This creates final qemu_sd.img and used the same ARM & PMU instances to launch QEMU boot.

Attached FSBL for your reference. If you want, I will share qemu_sd.img too, but since this is of approx.120M I cant share it through forum or email.

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
Visitor david_2018
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Shabbirk,

0 Kudos