UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant btsavage
Participant

read only rootfs is causing me problems.

I've got Linux running on my custom hardware with an SD card partitioned as instructed on the Xilinx wiki.  However, I'm seeing some errors at boot and the rootfs is no RO.  It never was before.  I created the /root partition on the SD card and copied the rootfs from the partition of the SD card I was previously using on my ZC702 and never saw this problem.  Why is the rootfs now RO?

Any help appreciated.  Thanks

Freeing unused kernel memory: 220K (c065b000 - c0692000)
mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address 59b4
mmcblk0: mmc0:59b4 AF UD 7.48 GiB (ro)
 mmcblk0: p1 p2
do mounts
start mdev
mdev: /sys/class: No such file or directory
mount root
EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p2): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)
EXT2-fs (mmcblk0p2): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)
EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
hand off to new root
mountall: Disconnected from Plymouths of entropy available
fsck.ext4: Operation not permitted while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0p2
You must have r/w access to the filesystem or be root
mountall: fsck / [1259] terminated with status 8
mountall: Unrecoverable fsck error: /
mountall: Skipping mounting / since Plymouth is not available
rm: cannot remove `/var/lib/urandom/random-seed': Read-only file system
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/4.0.0-xilinx-00076-gdfc1bc8-dirty/modules.dep: No such file or directory

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/4.0.0-xilinx-00076-gdfc1bc8-dirty/modules.dep: No such file or directory

[ OK ]

Ubuntu 12.10 zynqtest ttyPS0

zynqtest login: root

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar norman_wong
Scholar

Re: read only rootfs is causing me problems.

Probably due to the handling of the Write Protect line on your custom board. Appears that the Card Detect line is working properly as Linux detects the card. If you moved from full sized SD to micro-SD, your custom board would need to feed something into the CD and WP lines of the processor. Micro-SD does not have those lines. Sometimes, the file-sized SD card socket/cage has a faulty WP switch.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If it has something to do with WP or CD, there are some device tree options to help you work around it. 

Please see the following post:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/kernel-3-12-driver-for-micro-SD-card/td-p/422053

And refer to the device tree bindings doc for mmc:

https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/blob/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mmc/mmc.txt

Regards,

Terry

0 Kudos
Observer charleeh
Observer

We had the same issue. No Card detect or Write protect pins connected on our board.

Added to the device tree file for sd and it's fixed:

broken-cd;

wp-inverted;

0 Kudos