UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

relocate simpleImage to execute from flash

Hi guys,

did someone tried to execute the simple loader directly from flash?

Is it possible by changing the linkerscript or will I run in more problems doing this?

I just want to avoid copying the image around to safe some boot time.

Best regards,

tg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: relocate simpleImage to execute from flash

Why don't you run your simple image directly from internal block RAM (or memory cache block RAM) ?

If it is small enough it is possible.

Otherwise you may succeed changing the linker script only if there is no need of a driver to read/write from Flash, and you put your reset vector to the physical address of your Flash

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Well, the simpleImage is approx. 1.5 to 2MB of size, this is definitely larger than fpga bram. 

I've decided to write a small bootloader which is capable of booting a uImage. The device-tree will be stored in bram (dependent of the fpga image)

The bootloader will run directly from bram, and decompresses the kernel from flash to ram.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Ho ok I did not understand that your "simple loader" was the simpeImage.

That's the good way to do : put a small bootloader in BRAM. That's what I did too. However for me I think that the device-tree is stored inside the kernel, not in BRAM. I use a script from Xilinx to convert the simpleImage to a Flash friendly image

Rest regards

0 Kudos