UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant amassa
Participant

u-boot not booting on custom platform

Jump to solution

I have updated the fsbl and u-boot images using the 2018.3 sdk tools. I am able to get the fsbl to execute correctly, however, when turning control over to u-boot the system halts. I have added some printf statements early on in the u-boot initialization sequence (board_f.c board_init_f()). These are not output. I tried loading the u-boot.elf image using the sdk xsct tool, but this has the same non-boot result.

I can execute the u-boot image I built on a zedboard and see the output printf statements are executed.

I incorporated the ps7_init files for my platform, however, I don't see these getting exeuted. Seems only if SPL code (spl.c -> board_init_f function) is called will the ps7_init be executed. But not sure this matters or is the issue.

I have read through other similar posts and tried many things as well as different websites, but nothing has led to any clues as to what is going on.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: u-boot not booting on custom platform

Jump to solution

Hi

1.board_init_f() is executed  in custom platform , that is anyway common function

2. put the printk statements in board_init_r(), as this is specfic is board

3. board_init_f() will call console init, serial init, display init etc.. & board_init_r() identify corr spending uart console for custom board and if it matches to your configs (provided by u-boot defconfig) , then it calls uart_init function, DDR init function etc..

4. For your case , check functions inside board_init_r() , it is successfully called you have proper defconfig,

if not you have to check the defconfig file for the custom board.

Provide Kudos if the reply is helpful.

Thanks & Regard

Satish G     

G Satish Kumar
3 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi

1.board_init_f() is executed  in custom platform , that is anyway common function

2. put the printk statements in board_init_r(), as this is specfic is board

3. board_init_f() will call console init, serial init, display init etc.. & board_init_r() identify corr spending uart console for custom board and if it matches to your configs (provided by u-boot defconfig) , then it calls uart_init function, DDR init function etc..

4. For your case , check functions inside board_init_r() , it is successfully called you have proper defconfig,

if not you have to check the defconfig file for the custom board.

Provide Kudos if the reply is helpful.

Thanks & Regard

Satish G     

G Satish Kumar
Participant amassa
Participant

Jump to solution
@gsatish10 thanks for the reply.
The function board_init_f is not executed on my board. I do see board_init_r getting executed in one of my builds. Thanks for pointing me there.
It does appear that my defconfig is not setup correctly for my board. I only have one from 2016 to go by and see a lot has changed.
Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
Participant amassa
Participant

Jump to solution

I was also curious, is the dts file (devicetree) used at all in u-boot?

I have read that it is used during the build but not sure if that is the case or only for SPL builds.

0 Kudos