Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

u-boot-xlnx : Support for Virtex ml403

Hello everyone,

I am trying to port u-boot bootloader onto Virtex4 ml403 board for PowerPC processor. I took the u-boot source file from git://git.xilinx.com/u-boot-xlnx.git/. But the problem what I am facing is that I could'nt find a board/xilinx/ml403 folder for coping my xps project xparamenter.h file in the u-boot source folder. I tried using the available ml405 folder, but I am facing error during compilation.  Can anyone help me with this issue.

Thanks,

Praveen Felix

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The ML403 is not directly supported, but it is very similar to the ML405.  Same board with a bigger FPGA.

The ML405 u-boot should build without any changes based on instructions on the wiki (http://xilinx.wikidot.com). Establishing a baseline that builds is very important before making any changes.  Then you should compare your new xparameters to the one provided for the ML405 and note the differences.

You should be able to use the xparameters.h that comes out of the EDK project.

-- John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hai John, 

I have already tried the way as you have instructed, which I ended in compilation errors. I will explain the steps which I followed:

1) Downloaded the u-boot-xlnx source file form git://git.xilinx.com/u-boot-xlnx.git 

2) Copied xps_prj/ppc405_0/libsrc/linux_2_6_v1_01_c/linux/arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/xparameters/xparameters_ml40x.h  to u-boot-xlnx/board/xilinx/ml405/xparameters.h

3) make ml405_config

4) make

Errors Faced:

/home/student/praveen/prjwork/tools/u-boot-xlnx.git/include/ppc405.h:30:1: warning: "CFG_DCACHE_SIZE" redefined
In file included from /home/student/praveen/prjwork/tools/u-boot-xlnx.git/include/config.h:2,
                 from /home/student/praveen/prjwork/tools/u-boot-xlnx.git/include/common.h:35,
                 from serial.c:24:
/home/student/praveen/prjwork/tools/u-boot-xlnx.git/include/configs/ml405.h:222:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
serial.c:66: error: 'XPAR_UARTNS550_0_BASEADDR' undeclared here (not in a function)
serial.c: In function 'calc_divisor':
serial.c:153: error: 'XPAR_XUARTNS550_CLOCK_HZ' undeclared (first use in this function)
serial.c:153: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
serial.c:153: error: for each function it appears in.)
serial.c:155: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
make[1]: *** [serial.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/student/praveen/prjwork/tools/u-boot-xlnx.git/drivers/serial'
make: *** [drivers/serial/libserial.a] Error 2

Can you help me with your suggestions.

--Thanks

--Praveen Felix 

Message Edited by praveenfelix on 01-22-2009 10:40 PM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Sorry for the long time to reply.

You shouldn't have altered the u-boot tree for the ML405 before you got a baseline to make sure it built (unless I misunderstood).

Get your baseline building before you make any changes.

-- John

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi John,

Any tips on whats needs to be done on Virtex-4 board with similar to ML403 architecture, but witout CF card.

What is need t be done other than loading ubbot?

Is it possible to start Uboot from flash?

Thanks

Mischa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Mischa,

I know that you can put u-boot in flash as others here have done it. I haven't myself as I stopped when it ran from ram.

I would read the documentation in u-boot to better understand that process.

A virtex 4 based board should be pretty easy to get everything running on in general.  Once you have a good solid h/w build that you have tested some without an OS, like with the testapps in the EDK, then you should be able to take u-boot for the ML405 that we support and move it to your board.

I think the wiki should show you most of the details.

Thanks.

0 Kudos