Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

ultra96 won't boot with petalinux "pre-built". Does boot with factory image

Jump to solution

I'm looking for a starting point for the debug process. I have a Ultra96 Dev board, v2, which works with the factory sd card image. The  factory image is one file with a .img extension ultra96v2_oob_2018_3_190530.img. Using Etcher to flash the sd card with the image seems to work fine. The "done" led lights and I can "talk" to the board.

Using Petalinux I have compiled a new BOOT.BIN, (I'm assuming that is a first state bootloader), image.ub (perhaps a second state bootloader?) and a kernel image rootfs.ext4. I used the board support file xilinx-ultra96-reva-v2018.2-final.bsp. The Vivado SDK and the Petalinux are all version 2018.2, running on Ubuntu 16.04.5, as described below.

I followed directions given here:https://www.96boards.org/documentation/consumer/ultra96/ultra96-v1/build/peta-linux.md.html

as well as those given here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Getting-Started-With-PetaLinux/

BOOT.BIN and image.ub were loaded in the sdcard /dev/sdx1, while the rootfs.ext4 was loaded in /dev/sdx2. Both partitions were properly created, labled and mounted.

The result is that the blue "done" LED on the board would not light.

So, then I want to the "pre-built" directory in the petalinux project that I had created, deleted the old BOOT.BIN and image.ub from /dev/sdx1 and loaded the BOOT.BIN and image.ub from the "pre-built" directory.

Same result. No done light.

One small difference is that I used a 32 GB sdcard. I had tested that sdcard by loading the factory image on it and running it with success. On the 32 GB card, I created /dev/sdx1 at 1GB and /dev/sdx2 at 14 GB.

The bottom line is that I have not been able to boot the board with anything other than the factory image.

What would be a good next step for debug?

Thank You

Tom

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: ultra96 won't boot with petalinux "pre-built". Does boot with factory image

Jump to solution

Evidently I had been using the wrong BSP for the ultra96V2. The correct BSP was posted just yesterday. I did a Petlinux compile and the board booted find.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Do you see anything on the serial port when booting? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

No, I see nothing on the serial port when booting BOOT.BIN, and I have tried.  When booting from the factory image I can eventually log in via the serial port.

I have attempted to boot prebuilt via jtag "petalinux-boot --jtag --prebuilt 3", from within a petalinux project, with the boot switches set as indicated to "jtag" as required. I sourced "settings.sh". Also, I had a putty serial communications port active, but it resulted in the following:

INFO: Launching XSDB for file download and boot.
INFO: This may take a few minutes, depending on the size of your image.
rlwrap: warning: your $TERM is 'xterm-256color' but rlwrap couldn't find it in the terminfo database. Expect some problems.: Inappropriate ioctl for device
INFO: Configuring the FPGA...                                                                                                                                                                 
INFO: Downloading bitstream to the target.
No supported FPGA device found

I see nothing on the comm port display.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Evidently I had been using the wrong BSP for the ultra96V2. The correct BSP was posted just yesterday. I did a Petlinux compile and the board booted find.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos