UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor wlin2
Visitor

xilinx-zcu102-zu9-es1 petalinux

I am using vivado 2017.1 and zcu102 es1 revD board. I download the petalinux bsp from the headstart lounge and the prebuilt linux image is working fine. WIth ifconfig, I can find eth0 information and tftp service is working.

Then, I created hdf file from vivado and tried to create boot image with new hdf. After i imported the hdf, petalinux-config window is opened and i need to select "CONFIG_SUBSYSTEM_MACHINE_NAME". By default, it is zcu102-revb which is not the board i am using. Another option is zcu102 without any revision suffix, so I tried that one. After saving the configuration, i ran petalinux-build and some warnings popped up:

Selection_020.png

I kept generating boot image and boot the kernel with BOOT.bin and image.ub. The kernel is built successfully, but when I tried ifconfig for ip address, i only saw the  local loop back address "lo". I tried ifconfig eth0 up, and the error says no such device.

Question:

Since es1 is preliminary version, whether petalinux supports generating linux image for es1 from scratch? I suspect I may not using correct "CONFIG_SUBSYSTEM_MACHINE_NAME" in petalinux-config and it leads to wrong device tree. That is why i cannot find eth0 with new linux image. If i am using correct one, how can i activate eth0?

The reason I asked is I am following ug1144 tutorial, and the tutorial is based on new image but not prebuild one. For example, config rootfs in ext4 SD card and adding custom application.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: xilinx-zcu102-zu9-es1 petalinux

A couple suggestions.

1. For the board, make sure you have the right BSP that you download as there is an ES1 specific BSP.  I suspect it's right since the prebuilts worked.

2. Create a new project based on the BSP, which you likely did, but also build it, not just using the prebuilts and verify it's all working.

3. If you want to create your own custom system from Vivado then continue from the petalinux project that you created based on the BSP so that you don't lose all the board specific information in the device tree.  You can import from an HDF into the existing petalinux project that is based on a BSP.  The Ethernet PHY in the device tree is board specific so that you need it from the BSP or you have to add it yourself manually.

4. You should not need to be messing with the machine name in petalinux configuration if you stick to what I suggested above.  I'm assuming you tried that on your own without seeing that somewhere in the docs?

This is just my experience, hope it helps, thanks

John

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: xilinx-zcu102-zu9-es1 petalinux

Hi, I am using zcu102 ES2 of rev1 board and I have my hdf file of "Zynq UltraScale+ ZCU102 Evaluation board Rev 1.0 (loaded with ES2 device)" from vivado runs and everything works fine and in petalinux2017.1. I have my BSP for 3.0 Silicon (zu9-es2) Rev-1.0 xilinx-zcu102-zu9-es2-rev1.0-v2017.1-final.bsp downloaded and created project based on this bsp and generated and imported hdf on my linux but in the linux config settings this is showing the name as zcu102-revb as the machine name and I am sure BSP what I have downloaded is Rev1 es2 and generating warning messages during build time like following. Can I change my machine name by hand in the linux config menu? though i change it is showing as zcu101-revb in my system-top.dts file. Though my firmware shows that it is xilinx-zcu102-zu9-es2-rev1.0-v2017.1-final.bsp my machine name is different, it should be zcu101-rev1.0

WARNING: petalinux-user-image-1.0-r0 do_rootfs: The postinstall intercept hook 'update_pixbuf_cache' failed (exit code: 1)! See log for details!
WARNING: petalinux-user-image-1.0-r0 do_rootfs: The postinstall intercept hook 'update_icon_cache' failed (exit code: 1)! See log for details!
WARNING: petalinux-user-image-1.0-r0 do_rootfs: The postinstall intercept hook 'update_gio_module_cache' failed (exit code: 1)! See log for details!
WARNING: petalinux-user-image-1.0-r0 do_rootfs: [log_check] petalinux-user-image: found 4 warning messages in the logfile:
[log_check] WARNING: The postinstall intercept hook 'update_font_cache' failed (exit code: 1)! See log for details!
[log_check] WARNING: The postinstall intercept hook 'update_pixbuf_cache' failed (exit code: 1)! See log for details!
[log_check] WARNING: The postinstall intercept hook 'update_icon_cache' failed (exit code: 1)! See log for details!
[log_check] WARNING: The postinstall intercept hook 'update_gio_module_cache' failed (exit code: 1)! See log for details!

IMG_1032.jpg
IMG_1033.jpg
0 Kudos