UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

zynq in Git

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to understand the zynq tags in xilinx git. I couldn't find any documentation for that.

I see several tags such as:

(1). zynq-soc-for-x.y (x.y is version such as 4.1) , and

(2). zynq-dt-for-x.y (x.y is version such as 4.1) .

1 . What's the difference between zynq-dt-xxx to zynq-soc-xxx ? Wwhen should we use each ?

2. Why do I see version 3.11 when using zynq-dt-for-3.12 ? and Where is zynq version 3.12 can be found ?

Thank you!

Ran

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: zynq in Git

Jump to solution

It depends. Upstream support for Zynq is fairly well by now, but there are differences in the feature set. This wiki page gives an idea of these differences: http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Linux+Drivers

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

For most people the only relevant tags are the 'xilinx-v<year>.<quarter>' tags. Those are aligned with Xilinx SW releases and what is shipped in PetaLinux etc.

The vX.Y tags are the tags from upstream Linux. They are not a 'Zynq' or Xilinx version. They are identical of what you can get from kernel.org.

The zynq-...-for-x.y are used to upstream Xilinx' changes to mainline Linux. They might not even be fully functional. Don't use these unless you really know what you're doing.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thank you very much.

One more thing please. 

Can I assume that the version from GIT can work out of the box, without any modifications.

For example I want to use git kernel v4.0 with zynq.

Does the version from git.kernel can work or must I use xilinx version ?

Thank you!

Ran

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

It depends. Upstream support for Zynq is fairly well by now, but there are differences in the feature set. This wiki page gives an idea of these differences: http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Linux+Drivers

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the table.

That's a good start for me.

It seems that git kernel used (kernel 4.x) might support everything I need for zynq (though I see in the table that ethernet might not be supported...).

I will give it a try,

Thanks,

Ran

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Ethernet is supported. There are just two drivers for Zynq's Ethernet controller, one of them being upstream. It works perfectly fine with the upstream macb driver.

0 Kudos