UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer qswsjs
Observer

AXI DMA cyclic mode

Hi all

I'm using the AXI Direct Memory Access (AXI DMA) IP(v7.1) in cyclic mode (and thus scatter-gather mode, too).

We are running Vivado 2014.2 targeting a Zynq on a ZC702.PG021of AXI DMA(V7.1) says that it support cyclic mode!

Does the AXI DMA version 7.1 supplied with v2014.2 of vivado support Cyclic DMA mode ? I have config the AXI DMA V7.1 in scatter gather cyclic mode , but when I have transfered the last descriptor buffer,the tready of DMA pull down ,it doesnt transfer to the first descriptor again ! Do you know the problem ? please give me some advice ,thanks! 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: AXI DMA cyclic mode

Hey,

Do you have the tail descriptor's 'next descriptor' field pointing back to the first descriptor in the chain?
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Observer qswsjs
Observer

Hi bwiec,

Thanks for your reply! I use AXI DMA linux driver xilinx_axidma.c,I applied for the descriptor,the driver use the API list_add_tail(&new->node, &first->tx_list) set tail descriptor's 'next descriptor' pointing back to the first descriptor.So I think I have set tail descriptor's 'next descriptor' pointing back to the first descriptor,to use an cyclic buffer descriptor. is it right?

Does the AXI DMA(V7.1) suppport cyclic mode? In another post(http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processor-System-Design/AXI-DMA-Cyclic-DMA-Mode/m-p/386379/highlight/false#M10244),someone say that in the AXI DMA (V8.0) to support the cyclic mode ? Can you help me confirm it? Thanks a lot !

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Yes, the AXI DMA v7.1 does support cycic mode (though not when multi-channel mode is used).

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer qswsjs
Observer

hi bwies,thanks!

Sorry,I have another question ! Does the AXI DMA linux driver(xilinx_axidma.c) have been updated to supported cyclic mode?

As far as I know, Linux driver hasn't been updated to support. Do we need modify the linux driver to support cyclic mode?thanks!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes you are right. Linux driver doesnt support cyclic mode.Its only in standalone driver.

I will raise a CR for this.

Regards

Sikta

Observer qswsjs
Observer

Thanks skitap for your reply!

I encountered this problem now, trapped here, no progress, when can you help me update the Linux driver to support cyclic mode? I'm very grateful to you help me to solve this problem!

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi bwiec,

Could you show me some example about what you said multi-channel mode ? I'm working on the KC705 and
in Vivado, and I can't init the DMA in that mode.

Thank you!

Regards,
Makon
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

So, what was the conclusion here, other than the linux driver is to be updated to support cyclic DMA?

It's just that I see this very same issue in simulation.

Is cycle BD mode broken? 

0 Kudos